Board Members - 1625 Independent People
New Year’s Resolutions? Are you looking for a way to give back to the community and use your experience and skills to support a charity?
If you have a passion to tackle youth homelessness and see the next generation thrive, 1625 Independent People would love to hear from you. We have 2 Board Member roles available and are looking for forward-thinking individuals to support our charity.
We are committed to creating a more diverse Board that represents the young people we serve and particularly welcome applicants from groups where representation is lower, this currently would include Black, Asian, Muslim and disabled applicants.
Board Member Opportunities (Voluntary) – Treasurer
Having set a new organisational strategy for the next 5 years, we are looking to appoint a new Treasurer who will help with the governance of the underpinning financial strategy to drive our organisation forward and achieve its objectives:
- Treasurer: with a background in accountancy you will support the Corporate Services Director with the organisation’s financial strategy, financial reporting and governance and Chair the Finance & New Business Committee
Board Member Opportunities (Voluntary)
- Agile / digital working / organisational change: following enforced changes in working during the pandemic, we have a major objective in our organisational strategy to ‘improve agile/digital working that provides great access for young people and a highly effective / efficient organisation’. This will involve a whole new digital strategy and ways of working that underpins all that we do in the coming years. You will help us develop new ways of working alongside the Strategic Leadership team and other Board Members.
Please indicate in your Covering Letter which of the two roles you are applying for.
About the Role
As a Board Member, you will use your skills, knowledge and experience to work collaboratively with the organisation’s executive team to achieve the highest standards of operational performance throughout 1625ip. Your robust and thorough approach will help 1625ip have maximum impact and build resilience.
You will be supported on your Board Member journey by a full induction programme and the opportunity to have a Board Buddy to help settle into your new role.
There are 6 Board meetings a year, potentially 2-4 additional committee meetings a year, 2 away days and several events with service users which are not compulsory but are very informative and fun.
About 1625 Independent People
1625ip has been working with young people in the South West for over 30 years. We are award-winning experts in providing services for young homeless people, care leavers and young people who offend. Despite multiple and complex needs, over 80% of the young people we support go on to succeed.
We provide much more than just a safe home for young people. We give them a network of people they can trust and a range of specialist support in areas, for example, mental health and jobs coaching. We offer young people opportunities they’ve never had giving them a chance to believe in themselves, take healthy risks and to play a positive part in our communities.
In 2021 we are:
- Continuing to deliver face to face service to vulnerable young people as part of the essential services in the area.
- Increasing the way we can work in a more agile and digital way but preserving very important relationship work with young people.
- Increasing our property ownership to be able to provide a safe base for young people into the future.
- Improving our office and young people’s spaces, through refurbishment or moving.
- Increasing the wellbeing of our colleagues and volunteers.
Be one of our Board members and help us on this exciting journey. Take a look at our Impact Report 2019/20 (links below) for more information on what we do.
If you believe you have the skills, drive and enthusiasm to help young people thrive, then please get in touch. If you would like an informal discussion please contact Nick Hooper (Chair) on 07593642147 or Mel Anson (People Committee Chair) on 07773401061.
Decisions on applications are made at Board level with the CEO making recommendations beforehand.
- Closing date for applications: 31st March 2021 (23:59)
- Interviews will be held soon after.
Covering Letter / Supporting Statement Guidance:
Please note that the online application form cannot be saved until it is fully complete. We recommend that you prepare your Covering Letter before you start the online application.
Your Covering Letter is essentially your Supporting Statement and will form the most important basis on which your skills, experience and behavioural competencies will be tested against the Role Description. Without it, your application cannot progress to the shortlisting stage.
You should refer to the Role Description documents linked above when explaining your suitability for the role to which you are applying.
ALTHOUGH THE APPLICATION FORM GIVES YOU THE OPTION TO UPLOAD A CV, PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT A CV AS THIS IS NOT NECESSARY AND WILL NOT BE USED IN THIS PROCESS.