Independent Trustee - Benenden Charitable Trust
Often ill health can be accompanied by associated financial challenges which can cause significant additional worry on top of health concerns. Benenden Charitable Trust provides financial assistance grants to relieve hardship and distress as a result of sickness, infirmity, disability or any medical condition. We help members and former members of Benenden Health, and also accept non-member referrals from a number of partner charities.
Benenden Charitable Trust is seeking to appoint an Independent Trustee to join its board of trustees. Trustees hold the charity ‘in trust’ for current and future beneficiaries by:
- Ensuring that Benenden Charitable Trust complies with its governing document (i.e. its Articles of Association), charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- Ensuring that Benenden Charitable Trust pursues its objects as defined in its governing document.
- Ensuring Benenden Charitable Trust applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects, i.e. it must not spend money on activities which are not included in the objects, however worthwhile they may be.
- Identification and management of risk.
- Acting as guardians of the charity’s assets, both tangible and intangible, taking all due care over their security, deployment and proper application.
- Ensure that the organisation functions within the legal and financial requirements of a charitable organisation and strives to achieve best practice.
- Contribute specific skills, interests and contacts and support the charity through promoting its activities.
- Maintain good relations with senior management and all staff.
- Actively promote the organisation's purpose, values and strategy at all times.
- Take part in training sessions provided for the benefit of the trustees.
- Fulfil such other duties and assignments as may be required from time to time by the trustee body.
Knowledge and Experience
- Awareness of how charities operate and the role of trustees.
- Ability to operate at different levels, understanding when a detailed assessment is necessary and when to apply a strategic approach.
- Ability to think outside the box to contribute to strategic discussions.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of social trends and their implications for those in times of hardship.
We are open to all appropriate applications but would particularly welcome candidates with experience at a senior level in management of mental health or social care services.
Flexibility and Adaptability
- Able to assimilate information quickly and deal with fast moving discussions.
- Ability to respect boundaries between executive and governance functions
Judgement and Decision Making
- Understand the need for and actively demonstrate confidentiality.
- Empathetic to the work of the charity.
- Positive attitude.
- Ability to work as part of a team, with colleagues and management.
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to give and receive feedback objectively and sensitively and a willingness to challenge constructively
For full information please refer to the Role Profile.
The position is voluntary and unpaid. Travel, accommodation and subsistence expenses will be reimbursed in line with the Benenden Travel & Expenses policy.
If your individual circumstances mean that providing employer referees is not possible or appropriate, personal references are also acceptable for this role.
If you are thinking of applying and have any queries regarding this role, you can speak to a member of our team on 0800 414 8450 (Mon-Fri 8am-4pm) – No agencies please.
Hours of Work
- Attendance at quarterly Trustee meetings in York, London and Kent.
- One-day annual strategy seminar.
- Decision making on cases above the approval limits of the operational team.
- Casework Monitoring – quarterly (each Trustee completes 1-2 times per year)
Closing Date: 9am, Monday 2nd July 2018
To apply for this job please send the following;
- An updated CV
- A covering letter
- An Equal Opportunities Form
- Reference Form
- Disclosure of Criminal Convictions
- Privacy Notice for Job Applicants
Please clearly indicate that you are applying for Independent Trustee - Benenden Charitable Trust and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the closing date please assume your application was unsuccessful in this instance. Please visit our website for further vacancies which may be of interest to you.