Senior Independent Director - British Friendly
Recruiter: Green Park
Location: England, Bedfordshire
Salary: £20,000 - £27,000 per annum
Posted: 16 Oct 2017
Closes: 30 Oct 2017
Contact: Rebecca Thompson
Responsibilities: Executive Management
Contract Type: Contract / Interim
Senior Independent Director
Established in 1902, British Friendly is a mutual Society that was originally created to look after travelers and their families. Fast-forward to 2017 and British Friendly Society is a modern mutual which has no shareholders and is run for the sole for the benefit of its members.
British Friendly now offers a range of products and services from traditional investment based Income Protection policies Holloway and Century to intermediary based, pure Income Protection policies.
As a mutual provider, they pride themselves on the flexibility in their approach to claims and underwriting which allows members to feel good knowing that they are covered by a reliable provider who they can trust.
British Friendly reviewed its purpose in 2017 and have developed a set of supporting principles (Purpose, Aim, Promise, Commitment) which reflects their values and beliefs, which provide tangible guidelines to its strategy.
The role of the Senior Independent Director:
- Work closely with the chairman, acting as a sounding board and providing independent support
- Act as an intermediary for other directors as and when necessary
- Be available to other non-executives to address any concerns or issues they feel have not been adequately dealt with through the usual channels of communication (i.e. through the chairman, the chief executive or finance director)
- Conducting annual meetings with the non-executives to review the chairman's performance and carrying out succession planning for the chairman's role
- Investment, Marketing or Actuarial experience at Board Level within a relevant industry, i.e.
- Experience gained within the Insurance market
- Preference to an individual who is looking for or has no more than four other NED positions