Independent Non-Executive Chair - British Taekwondo
Date Posted: 08/04/2019
Closing Date: 19/04/2019
Term of Office: Three-year term from AGM (Nov 2019)
Hours: As required
Salary: £6K per annum plus expenses
Time commitment: As required, but at least 30 days per annum
British Taekwondo is the National Governing Body for Olympic Taekwondo in Great Britain and the recognised Member National Association of World Taekwondo. With a 17,000 membership across the whole of the United Kingdom, the martial art & sport has a thriving club and instructor network. British Taekwondo work in collaboration with GB Taekwondo (the elite athlete and Olympic Programme Organisation) who are bringing a series of World Class events to Britain over the next 4 years.
The Chair will lead the Board and organisation through this exciting period, ensuring also that governance is continually enhanced, a new Strategic Plan for the sport is launched, and opportunities for the membership are increased and continually improved.
Duties and responsibilities
- To lead the Board and organisational strategy.
- To engage with stakeholders and build strong relationships to further enhance British Taekwondo’s standing at home and abroad.
- To ensure effective communication with members regarding the strategic direction of British Taekwondo.
- To ensure all the agreed policies and procedures are in place and to ensure the Board acts within the law, the Code for Sports Governance and in the best interests of British Taekwondo and its members.
- To lead the Board, ensuring skill levels are appropriate for the needs of the organisation in the delivery of the organisational strategy, and proactively undertaking succession planning.
- To work closely with the Chief Executive monitoring the operations.
- To chair all relevant meetings, including the AGM, in an open, fair and constructive manner.
- To ensure the Board proactively assesses and improves its own performance.
- To drive continuous development of British Taekwondo.
- To work alongside the British Taekwondo President and CEO to champion the sport with TOL (Taekwondo Organisation Limited), Sport England, UK Sport and the British Olympic Association as well as World Taekwondo and World Taekwondo Europe at relevant events and forums.
- Other duties as may reasonably be required.
- Interest in sport and its role in communities, in performance, participation, and for membership and volunteers.
- Experience of chairing an organisation, including setting strategic direction, managing a CEO (or equivalent) and solid financial acumen.
- Sound knowledge of corporate governance including the Code for Sports Governance.
- Excellent inter personal skills to engage the Board, staff, volunteer structure, membership and stakeholders.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral.
- Demonstrate a positive approach to equal opportunities, diversity and inclusion.
- Willing to go the extra mile and be available whenever the role requires.
- Understanding and experience of other bodies in the sports landscape including UK Sport, Sport England and the British Olympic Association.
British Taekwondo welcomes applications from all suitably qualified individuals regardless of race, gender, disability, religion / belief, sexual orientation or age. Candidates must be able to prove their eligibility to work in the U.K.
How to apply
All correspondence, including any questions you may have, as well as your submission of CV and cover letter email (outlining relevant experience and why you are suitable for the role) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org using “REF CHAIR”
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: £6,000.00 /year
- Executive: 1 year (Preferred)