Non-Executive Director - Brunel Pension Partnership
Recruiter: Brunel Pension Partnership
Location: Head office is in Bristol.
Salary: Director’s remuneration
Posted: 05 Jun 2019
Closes: 21 Jun 2019
Responsibilities: Accounting, Analyst, Executive Management, Risk / Compliance
Sector: Business Services, Financial Services
Contract Type: Permanent
Brunel Pension Partnership Limited (Brunel) is seeking an independent Non-Executive Director (NED) with recent accountancy/audit experience to chair the Audit, Risk and Compliance Committee (ARC). The successful candidate will join our independent Chair and two existing independent NEDs.
Brunel is committed to celebrating and promoting diversity. By taking an inclusive approach we aim to attract a pool of candidates with a breadth of talents and experiences.
This is an exciting opportunity to work with an innovative investment company.
The drive for closer collaboration and partnership between UK public sector pension funds led to the creation of Brunel in July 2017, which amalgamates the investment management activities of Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) Funds of the administering authorities of Avon, Buckinghamshire, Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, the Environment Agency, Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, Somerset and Wiltshire.
The FCA-authorised company manages the investments of the ten Brunel LGPS funds, which total approximately £30 billion.
This is a challenging role that will suit a self-starter with the leadership skills to shape our developing strategy alongside implementing a best practice governance and control framework.
In addition, the successful applicant will be responsible for holding the executive directors to account in the interest of the company stakeholders, including Brunel’s LGPS Clients and employees.
Applicants will need to demonstrate robust financial literacy and an understanding of the wider pension and investment space. The successful applicant will require significant recent accountancy/audit and investment knowledge, along with a good risk awareness and a sound knowledge of the FCA principles.
The successful candidate will:
- Be intellectually engaged by the complexity of the investment industry
- Demonstrate a strong empathy for and deep knowledge of the FCA approach towards good conduct and culture
- Be able to operate in a complex stakeholder environment
- Recognise the benefits of long-term thinking, responsible investments, evidenced and research-based decisions, responsible stewardship and diversity
- Have recent accountancy/audit experience preferably in the financial services sector
Specific duties will include:
- Chairing the ARC in an effective and efficient manner and in line with the Committee’s Terms of Reference
- Safeguarding the independence and oversight of the performance of the compliance and risk function
- Ensuring the independence, autonomy and effectiveness of the firm’s policies and procedures on whistleblowing, including the procedures for protection of staff who raise concerns from detrimental treatment, including acting as the Whistleblowing Champion
- Supervising and managing the performance of outsourced internal auditors; managing potential conflicts of interest between the provision of external audit and internal audit services
To apply for the Non-Executive Director position, please request an application pack from firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line as ‘Brunel NED’. You will be provided with further information about the role, about Brunel and how to apply This is also the email address for any queries regarding this opportunity.
Closing date for applications: Friday 21st June 2019 at 12 noon.