Non-Executive Director - Financial Services - Buckinghamshire Building Society
Recruiter: Buckinghamshire Building Society
Location: Chalfont St Giles, Buckinghamshire (GB)
Salary: £19,384 pa
Posted: 06 Nov 2019
Closes: 20 Nov 2019
Position/Level: Board, Director
Sector: Financial Services
Contract Type: Permanent
The Society and Background
Buckinghamshire Building Society was founded in 1907, making it one of the UK's longest established Societies. It is the only remaining independent Building Society in the County and has 45 employees, all based in Chalfont St Giles.
The Society is a frequent contender in industry specific awards and was very proud to receive Best Local Building Society and Mortgage Product Innovation recently. As a mutual it is run for the benefit of its members, and its success means that it now has more than 10,000 savers and 2,000 borrowers throughout the UK, with assets in excess of £270m.
The Society has a forward looking and positive culture as evidenced by both internal and external surveys, prides itself on "doing the right thing" at every level of the business and in all aspects of its operations.
The Society has a high performing, long-standing Board, currently comprised of six Non Executive Directors (NEDs), two Executive Directors and a strong senior management team. To enable Board succession, there is now an exciting opportunity for a new NED to join us.
The Board has friendly collegiate style and Board members regularly converse across the whole organisation. They are expected to be challenging but constructive, well prepared and considered in their views.
The Society recognises and actively embraces the benefits of having a diverse Board including maintaining a competitive advantage and this is a great opportunity for the Society to achieve this.
An ideal applicant for this role would have:
- Recent and relevant Board level experience or equivalent* (ideally but not necessarily gained within Retail Financial Services, whether in a mutual or otherwise), ideally as a NED. *(Equivalent includes executive/management committee membership in a large organisation)
- Good familiarity with the regulatory environment applicable to retail financial services (with particular focus on prudential regulation)
- Current familiarity with the range of issues likely to be of board level concern to UK business generally, for example cyber-security, corporate governance
- Ability to question and challenge constructively to arrive at an independent judgement
- High level of empathy with the Mutual business model, and commitment to “doing the right thing”
- Strong ethical stance and demonstrable integrity
Applications from individuals with specialist experience in one or more of the following areas would be particularly welcome:
- Strong mortgage intermediary knowledge and contacts
- Treasury experience
- Financial Services Regulations
- Expected Time Commitment:
All NED Board members are expected to commit between 2-3 days per month (including 1 day per month at the Chalfont St Giles office) and at peak times this may increase and flexibility is expected
The closing date for this opportunity is the 20th November 2019