Chair - IMEG, Independent Medical Expert Group (MoD)
Body: Independent Medical Expert Group
Appointing Department: Ministry of Defence
Sectors: Defence, Health
Location: Meetings are usually held at Ministry of Defence offices in London with some UK travel
Number of Vacancies: 1
Remuneration: Reasonable travel and subsistence expenses will be reimbursed.
Time Requirements: Approximately 10 days per year
- Competition Launched: 14/02/2019
- Closed for Applications: 10/03/2019 at 12:00
- Panel Sift: TBC
- Final Interview Date: 11/06/2019
- Announcement: TBC
The Independent Medical Expert Group’s (IMEG) role is to provide independent evidence-based advice to Minister (Defence Personnel and Veterans) on the medical and scientific aspects of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) and related matters so that AFCS policy and individual decision-making reflects contemporary medical understanding on causation and progress of disorders. IMEG has no role in individual decision-making. The Chair is responsible for the operation of the Group and must:
- engage fully in collective consideration of the issues, taking account of the full range of relevant factors, including any guidance issued by the sponsor department or the responsible minister;
- ensure that the Code of Practice on Access to Government Information (including prompt responses to public requests for information) is adhered to;
- respond appropriately to complaints, if necessary, with reference to the sponsor department; and ensure that the Group does not exceed its powers or functions.
For this role, the successful candidate should meet the following essential criteria:
- be a medically qualified senior consultant of at least five years standing in one of the relevant specialities (trauma, orthopaedics, neurology, audio vestibular/audiological medicine, occupational medicine, mental health, epidemiology, rehabilitation), and be completely independent of the Ministry of Defence (MOD), having not previously worked either in the Department or been a member of the Armed Forces.
- have experience working collaboratively on high level committees or at board level;
- demonstrate excellent communication skills and team-work; and
- be a British citizen.
For this role, we are also looking for candidates who meet the following desirable criteria:
- have an interest in occupational medicine, disability analysis and personal injury compensation; and
- show skills in analysis, interpretation of evidence, discussion and reaching reasoned conclusions across a range of complex scientific and medical data, with reports accepted for publication in the leading peer-reviewed scientific and medical literature, and experience in writing scientific reports and giving presentations; have experience working on an advisory body.
The appointment will be for a period of three years starting 1 August 2019
The Advisory Assessment Panel Members are:
Chair – Commodore Jim MacLeod – Acting ACDS Pers Cap.
Departmental Member – Dr Anne Braidwood – CDP Medical Advisor
Independent Member – Professor David Delpy
None of the panel have any notified political affiliations.
How to Apply
Please complete the attached Expression of Interest, an accompanying Support letter and Diversity Information Forms and send a copy of each along with your most recent CV to DBSCivPers-ResNONSTDAPPTS@mod.uk quoting reference 16730 .
- 16730_IMEG CHAIR_INFORMATION PACK
- 16730_IMEG CHAIR_EOI (1)
- IMEG_Diversity Form
- Guaranteed Interview Scheme Declaration
This post is regulated by The Commissioner for Public Appointments