UNITED in Hammersmith & Fulham (UNITED) is recruiting a Chair of the Board of Trustees. The Chair will lead UNITED through its next stage of development, taking it from a new and fast-growing charity to a mature and sustainable organisation making a noticeable impact on our borough.
Who are we?
UNITED is a place-based giving scheme and part of the London’s Giving network. We fund activities that promote a strong sense of togetherness in Hammersmith and Fulham, and connect those who want to support our community with local causes that will best use their investment, whether this is by sharing money, time, or resources.
UNITED in Hammersmith and Fulham received its Charity registration in 2019. Our first campaign brought the local council and major donors together to fund 50 Great Get Togethers, and we then launched Warmer Together a campaign enabling affluent older people to donate their Winter Fuel Allowance to their peers more in need. We also worked in partnership with a local Business Improvement District to launch Small Tap Big Change, a long-term strategy to address homelessness in the borough.
In March 2020, UNITED launched one of London’s first coronavirus emergency response appeals in partnership with the H&F Council, giving out the first grant funding to groups just days later. The campaign was a great success and in total we raised £145,000 and distributed this to more than 150 groups reaching thousands of local people most in need. This recent Winter, we have also been able to distribute more than £100,000 for young families in need of essentials, including food and heating support.
We were founded and are funded by two local trusts Hammersmith United Charities and Dr Edwards and Bishop King’s Fulham Charity who have respectively served Hammersmith and Fulham for the past 400 years. Their vision was to revive the spirit of philanthropy which led to their creation and enable local people to leave a lasting legacy on their community. We are also funded by the City Bridge Trust, who recognise that place-based giving schemes like UNITED in Hammersmith & Fulham play a really important role in tackling disadvantage in London.
In only two years UNITED has got off to a great start, we are raising and giving out funds, have formed active partnerships and established ourselves as a champion for local causes. From this footing we must now move to the next level, triumphing with a variety of fundraising goals, delivering highly impactful programmes, and bearing a torch for how communities can be innovative and come together to inspire and create social change.
Who are we looking for?
The successful candidate will have demonstrable experience of leading an organisation through a strategic growth and will welcome the opportunity to do that at UNITED. Their leadership style will be inclusive, thoughtful, innovative, forward-thinking, and they will have a keen appreciation for the rich fabric of communities who live, work, study, shop and play in the London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham.
They will be willing to help UNITED embody and reflect the principles of place-based giving and be committed to ensuring the charity continues to build a shared understanding of local aspirations. This includes a willingness to help generate funding from the corporate sector, trusts and foundations and philanthropists, and to build positive relationships with investors, including DEBK and HUC boards.
They will have the understanding and skills to work with fellow Trustees and the Executive Director and a range of external stakeholders including in local government, to navigate the challenges ahead and fulfil the charity’s ambitions.
They will be well networked and be willing to use that network for the benefit of UNITED when appropriate.
“… strong leadership and ambition are critical to success, alongside long-term funding for running the scheme. Perhaps not surprisingly, the greater and longer-term the investment in schemes, the greater return and value add they generate for communities.” – London Funders
- A highly experienced, inclusive, and thoughtful leader
- A dynamic outlook, with experience of delivering growth projects
- A successful track record of fundraising from a wide range of sources
- Knowledge, interest, and experience in the advancement of diversity and inclusion
- An effective communicator and strong advocate, with a diverse local network
- An interest in philanthropy and investment into London’s civil society
- An understanding of the potential of place-based giving, and of the importance of working effectively with local government and other stakeholders
- A wise and strong decision-maker, ideally with experience of chairing boards
The Chair provides leadership to up to 10 Trustees who are nominated by the two founding Charities, and is responsible for ensuring that:
- the Board meets its statutory obligations, and that Trustees operate within UNITED’s policies and procedures;
- the governance structure is appropriate, and that membership of the Board and its committees has the appropriate level of skills, knowledge and experience;
- Board meetings are chaired effectively, making best use of the time by focusing on matters of strategy, performance and risk management;
- Trustees have sufficient information to provide them with assurance and to help them make decisions;
- Trustees feel able to have a free and frank exchange of views, and that all are encouraged to participate, with no individual Trustee dominating discussion;
- new Trustees receive an induction programme and that there is a regular programme of training available during a Trustee’s term;
- conflicts of interest are managed appropriately;
- the Board’s objectives, views, decisions and instructions are clearly communicated to the Executive Director;
- the Executive Director is provided with the support required to meet their objectives, and their performance is reviewed annually;
- they meet regularly with the Executive Director between Board meetings and report to the Board as appropriate on such meetings;
- they promote UNITED’s fundraising activities and help with senior level contacts and access;
- they act as an advocate for UNITED at the highest levels with funders, local government, potential donors and sponsors and with other key stakeholders; and
- they represent UNITED at key public events and where other opportunities arise.
Four Board meetings per year and up to four London Funders Chair’s Network meetings per year. Ready availability to the Executive Director, including at least monthly informal telephone, online or face-to-face meetings, as required. Regular attendance at public events, including networking, exhibition openings, funder, and supporter events. Occasional travel within London to meet key or potential funders with the Executive Director. Post-covid, the Chair should be available to meet in Hammersmith & Fulham.
This is a voluntary position, but reasonable out-of-pocket expenses are paid, and the UNITED is open to applications from candidates who would require compensation for the cost of travel or their time.
Start Date and Term
The current Chair has had to stand down due to an emergency and a Vice Chair is acting in place. It is hoped that the successful candidate will be appointed as a Trustee and Chair Elect by Summer 2021.
The Recruitment Process
The recruitment process is being undertaken by Moon Recruitment on behalf of UNITED.
Closing date for applications is midnight on Monday 29th April 2021. Longlisting will take place thereafter, and selected candidates will be invited to a first-round interview w/c 10 May 2021 with Victoria Hill, CEO of Hammersmith United Charities, and Jonathan Martin, CEO of DEBK Fulham Charity. Final interviews are expected to take place on Friday 21 May 2021 and will comprise of three representatives from UNITED’s Board of Trustees, Savraj Kaur, Executive Director of UNITED, and an observer from London Funders.
We particularly encourage applications from Black, Asian, and other Minority Ethnic candidates, women, and disabled persons, as these groups are currently underrepresented on UNITED’s Board of Trustees.
To apply, please submit a CV along with a brief covering letter which sets out your interest in the role and relevant experience by email firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Ref: UHF2150CHAIR UNITED Chair of the Board of Trustees – [YOUR NAME]’ in the subject line. Please include details of two referees. Referees will not be approached until the final interview stages and not without prior permission from candidates.
For an informal talk about what being the Chair of UNITED in Hammersmith & Fulham’s Board of Trustees involves and how you can join us, please email email@example.com to ask for a call with Sandy.
Moon Executive Search is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all areas of society.
The information that you provide in your Expression of Interest will be used by Moon Executive Search to support your application. In providing this service to you, you consent to your personal data being included on a computerised database and consent to us transferring your personal details to UNITED.
UNITED in Hammersmith & Fulham (1187649) is a registered charity.
More info at unitedhf.org.