Work type:Self Employed / Business Owner
We are looking for candidates with strong leadership skills in the energy sector, particularly with relevant experience in the international power machinery sector or of working with utilities or at utility scale.
The expected time commitment for the incoming Chairman is 2-3 days per week and potentially more in the induction period. Remuneration is negotiable and would include share options. The company’s Directors are keen to identify an additional independent Director who can be a dynamic Chairman to take the business into its next phase. They are seeking a Chairman who also wishes to become a shareholder in the business and invest whilst retaining his/her independence. This ensures a strong alignment of interest and trust with the existing Directors and shareholders.
Our client is a cutting edge technology company based in Southern England who have developed a new type of large scale electricity storage system that can be integrated into both existing and new gas power plants. This significantly improves the profitability of gas power plants while also facilitating the widespread adoption of renewable energy.
The company has received significant investment from energy funds and has a very broad patent portfolio. The company currently has around 30 employees.
The company has significant long term potential but with near term challenges to achieve its objectives.
The Chairman Role and Requirements
We are looking for candidates with the following:
someone with integrity, ambition and energy;
experience in the international power machinery sector or of working with utilities;
- previous employment with large engineering companies such as GE, Siemens, Alstom, MHI, Hitachi, ABB, Rolls-Royce OR previous employment with utilities, grid operators or equivalent;
- manufacturing and/or sales experience in the utility space
- good personal contacts with large power machinery manufacturers;
- experience of negotiating and working with consortiums (which include large Corporations);
- experience or knowledge of taking early stage prototypes (complex engineering R&D) to a commercial product that is being sold in the market;
- experience in completing large commercial deals;
- a good strategic thinker who is used to working on a Board and strong on Project Delivery;
- experience of Chairing Board meetings and setting Board Meeting agendas;
- Opportunity to invest upfront and prepared to be paid partly with share options for a 2-3 day per week commitment;
- experience of fund raising for early stage technology companies and good personal contacts with potential funding organisations;
- an ability to encourage and support the Chief Executive;
Our objective is that the new Chairman will take up his/her post in June 2015.
This role will close on Friday 24th April 2015