Chair - Competition and Markets Authority (CMA)
Recruiter: Competition and Markets Authority (CMA)
Salary: Not Specified
Posted: 16 Dec 2020
Closes: 16 Jan 2021
Job Function: Chair
The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is the UK’s primary competition and consumer body. It promotes competition for the benefit of consumers, and the UK business environment, both within the UK and internationally, and its aim is to ensure that markets work well for consumers, businesses and the economy. The CMA is a non-Ministerial department which was established by the Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act 2013 on 1 April 2014. The CMA has staff in London, Edinburgh, Belfast and Cardiff.
The CMA is seeking a new Chair, who will lead an effective Board, setting the strategy for the organisation to meet new challenges including supporting the UK economy to grow post-coronavirus pandemic and taking more, and more complex, cases previously heard by the European Commission.
The non-executive Chair, together with the non-executive members of the Board will bring appropriate challenge to the decisions made by the executive in running the organisation. The Chair must work effectively with the CMA’s Chief Executive, executive team, NEDs, and the CMA’s panel of independent competition and consumer experts. In doing so, the Chair will need to gain and retain the confidence of a wide range of stakeholders including Government, business, consumer groups, competition specialists and other international competition authorities.
As the Chair, you will provide effective leadership and strategic direction to form a cohesive and focused Board – enabling a high standard of discussion and debate and facilitating collaborative working; and work with the Chief Executive to influence and collaborate with key stakeholders, including Ministers, business, voluntary and community bodies and regulators, making the case for sound competition and consumer protection practices.
It is essential that applications demonstrate substantial evidence of achievement in the following areas:
- An ability to provide effective leadership of the Board, develop consensus and empower challenge, and to drive forward a clear strategic vision during a time of significant change.
- Excellent analytical skills, judgement and sound decision-making are required, and the ability to develop and implement robust governance arrangements.
- Awareness, knowledge and understanding of business and markets.
- Good understanding of how large organisations operate.
- A strong commitment to equal opportunities and diversity.
- The ability to inspire dedication, pace and innovation, ensuring the development, sustainability and high performance of the Board as a whole and of individual members.
- Excellent influencing and communication skills, including the ability to command trust and confidence at all levels, engage successfully with external audiences and build relationships internationally.
Although direct experience of competition or consumer issues would be welcome, we encourage applications from individuals with any relevant experience and background, including but not limited to competition, consumer, regulation, digital, retail, financial services, or other environments.
The closing date for applications is 11.00pm, 31st January 2021.
The CMA has retained Russell Reynolds Associates to advise on this appointment. For further information about the position and additional details on qualifications, requirements, terms and conditions of service and how to apply, please visit: www.rraresponses.com
The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy is committed to the principle of public appointments on merit with independent assessment, openness and fairness of process and to providing equal opportunities for all.