Trustee - Concern Worldwide (UK)
We are currently seeking to appoint a new trustee with the expertise to ensure the strategic oversight of Concern's finances and to support appropriate decisions and good governance by the board. The intention after a period of familiarisation with the charity and our Audit and Finance Committee (AFC), is that the new trustee would step into the role of Chair of the AFC.
- Provide leadership to the Committee in fulfilling its duties and responsibilities specified in the Committee Term of Reference, and promoting culture of integrity, accountability and honesty in the actions of the Committee on other officers in the organisation.
- Work closely with the Chair, Executive Director and Director of Finance and Operations to ensure the smooth financial running and continued financial health of Concern Worldwide.
- In collaboration with the Director of Finance and Operations agree the annual plan for the Committee, monitor and review the execution of the plan and modify as required.
- In consultation with the Director of Finance and Operations, create the agenda for each Committee meeting with a view to establishing the appropriate priorities.
- Report to the Board on the work of the Committee in a timely and comprehensive manner.
- Support and encourage the Finance and Operations team in their work.
- Perform such other functions as the Board may reasonably specify from time to time.
- Financial and audit/risk experience and hold a recognised accounting or financial qualification (ACA/ACCA/CIMA or similar)
- Outstanding record of professional achievement in their field, with a commensurate personal reputation for excellence, with a particular focus on strategic finance, audit and risk, planning and
- Ideally, experience gained as Trustee or Non-Executive Director in a similarly complex service orientated or influential organisation
- Strong understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship
- An understanding of the UK charity sector, good governance practices, Charity Commission and Companies House requirements, relevant legislation and statutory requirements, audit and finance regulation and best practice
- Appreciation of the nature of risk management at Board level
- Bring extensive knowledge of accountancy and finance techniques and strategies to the Board
- Have experience of taking an overview of the organisation's financial affairs focusing on maintaining the organisations financial viability
- Commitment to Concern Worldwide UK's vision, mission and values
- The successful post holder will be required to complete a self-declaration form and undergo a basic DBS check
About Concern Worldwide (UK):
Concern Worldwide (UK) is a non-governmental, international, humanitarian organisation dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of extreme poverty in the world's poorest countries.
We believe in a world where no one lives in poverty, fear or oppression; where all have access to a decent standard of living and the opportunities and choices essential to a long, healthy and creative life; a world where everyone is treated with dignity and respect.
Location: Battersea, London. Board and Committee meetings are either remotely or face-to-face in central London. Trustees should be available to attend meetings up to five times a year plus a Trustee Away Day meeting (Friday and Saturday) once a year.
Salary: Board membership is not a remunerated position. However, reasonable expenses incurred in performing Board duties will be borne by Concern.
- Closing date for Applications: 11 April 2021 (extended from date shown in recruitment pack)
- Shortlisting: w/c 12 April 2021
- Interviews: w/c 19 or 26 April 2021
In considering all applications and the appointment of Trustees, Concern Worldwide (UK) is bound to observe and comply with all applicable legislation and regulation. Equality is rooted in our vision of a world free from poverty, fear and oppression. We welcome applications from all sections of the community at every job level including our Board of Trustees. We believe to achieving greater diversity and being more reflective of our beneficiaries within our offices serves them best outside of our offices.
You may have experience of the following: Trustee, Voluntary, Poverty Relief, Vulnerable People, Finance, ACA, ACCA, CIMA, Board Membership, Charity, Charities, Third Sector, Not for Profit, NFP, etc.