Non Executive Director - DAC Beachcroft Llp
Title: Non Executive Director
Location: Bristol, Bristol (County)
Posted: 06/08/2018 (12:29)
Closes: 06 Oct 2018
Company: DAC Beachcroft Llp
About the Role
Our LLP Group Board (the Board), which has responsibility for the management of the LLP Group delegated to it by the Members (the owners of the business), is seeking to appoint a Non-Executive Director (NED) to the Board.
This appointment is an important one for the firm at a time when we are continuing to build on our improving financial performance as we work to deliver our strategy in a fast moving market that is presenting its fair share of opportunities and challenges.
Our NEDs assist our Board in ensuring the business achieves its objectives by bringing invaluable external insight and thinking alongside experience of the setting and management of strategy, decision making and the oversight of a Group Board. In addition, our NEDs are members of our Audit and Remuneration & Nomination Committees. The duties associated with this appointment, in addition to that of Board member, include Chair of our Audit Committee and membership of our Remuneration & Nomination Committee.
By way of context, our Board currently comprises, in addition to two NEDs (one of whom is retiring), the Senior Partner (acting as Chair), five Elected Members (elected by the Members from within the Member group), the Managing Partner and the Group Finance Director. The Governance Structure of the firm allows for the appointment of three NEDs and the appointment of any additional NED will be kept under review by the Board but there is no current intention to increase the number of our NEDs from two to three.
The core responsibilities are set out in our Governance Handbook but in summary the duties are as follows:-
- To promote the success of the LLP Group for the benefit of the Members.
- To support the Board in its decision making by ensures that consideration is given to the likely consequences of any decision in the long term, the interests of employees, the impact on community and the environment, the impact on clients, suppliers and others and the need to maintain our reputation for high standards of business conduct.
- Along with Board colleagues, to both support and constructively challenge the executive members of the LLP Group Board.
- To assess external and internal risk factors.
- To help the Board in the development of our strategy.
- To scrutinise the performance of management in delivering our strategy and in meeting agreed objectives.
- To monitor the reporting of performance and be satisfied with the integrity of financial information and that financial controls and systems of risk management are robust and defensible.
- Act as a sounding board for the Senior Partner and Managing Partner (and for the Group Finance Director, in respect of the Audit Committee Chair).
- Serve as an intermediary for other LLP Group Board members as necessary. By way of background our Board is a relatively new Board four of the five Elected Members having been elected in the last 12 months.
- To Chair the Audit Committee. By way of background the Committee comprises the Senior Partner, our other NED and two of our Elected Members.
- To be a member of the LLP Group Remuneration and Nomination Committee. By way of background the Committee comprises our other NED acting as Chair and the Senior Partner.
- To regularly develop and refresh knowledge, skills and familiarity with the business and supported by our Head of Practice Governance & Risk to have regard to the prevailing law and regulation under which we operate.
- To uphold high standards of integrity and probity and instil the appropriate culture, values and behaviours (underpinned by Our Cultural Principles) in the Boardroom and beyond.
- Perform the duties faithfully, efficiently and diligently to a standard commensurate with the role and individual knowledge, skills and experience.
Our ideal candidate will have energy, enthusiasm and time to commit to our business coupled with excellent people and communication skills and the ability to support and challenge the debate in the Boardroom and influence fellow Board members.
We are looking for someone with a finance background. Someone who has worked at a senior level in an audit firm and has Finance Director/Chief Executive experience within medium/large fast moving organisations preferably operating internationally.
Our successful candidate will be able to demonstrate current and relevant Non-Executive Director experience.
As the role will involve
- Chairing our Audit Committee we are interested in candidates with relevant Audit Committee experience (preferably acting as Chair) coupled with the ability to support the less financially experienced members of our Board in financial data analysis and commercial acumen.
- Membership of our Remuneration & Nomination Committee we are interested in candidates who have Remuneration & Nomination Committee experience.
Professional services/law firm experience may be considered of value in particular experience in the application of good corporate governance and risk management in a professional services/law firm environment, however, we would not want potential candidates to rule themselves out should they be unable to demonstrate experience in these sectors.
Experience in the areas of innovation/digitisation/AI and enhanced automation would provide useful support to the Board as we consider their potential impact on legal services businesses and consequential changing business models.
We are looking for an individual able to command the respect of our Members and whose ambitions and values align with ours.
"What's in it for me?"
Joining our Board as our second NED will give the successful candidate the opportunity to:-
- Support the Board of a business that is in a sector that is fast moving and in certain areas overcrowded. One where disruption dominates discussion (new entrants/AI etc), where clients are demanding more (often for less), where attracting and retaining talented colleagues requires flexibility and agility of approach and the ability to invest as never before is critical
- Play a key role in the continued growth of an International law firm that has outperformed many in the legal services sector over the last three years and whose leading position in the marketplace is increasingly recognised by clients, colleagues and competitors alike
- Join a Board with a collaborative but appropriately challenging culture committed to the continued success of our business
- Support the development of our new Board as it moves from the decision-making made at an operational level to that made at a more strategic level
- Be a part of an organisation that over the last three years has undertaken, alongside the Governance Review, a wholesale review of its Strategy, Vision, Purpose and Values (referred to within our business as our Cultural Principles) to ensure we are clear as to both our intent and our delivery (“the what and the how” of DAC Beachcroft) as we continue to build a resilient business with a sustainable future
- Support an owner managed business as it continues to move towards a more corporate structure as evidenced by our recently introduced revised Governance Structure whilst seeking to preserve the essence of partnership.
About the firm
With over 2,400 people, DAC Beachcroft combines one of the most comprehensive UK legal networks with coverage across Europe, Latin America, North America and Asia-Pacific. We provide a full service claims, transactional, commercial, risk and advisory capability. We work with clients in a select range of industry sectors and are market leaders in health, insurance and real estate. We are agile, progressive and easy to engage with.
We are committed to supporting the communities where we operate through charitable giving, pro bono work and programmes such as those operated by Business in the Community and The Prince's Trust.
In Legal 500 UK, 2017, the firm received top tier ranking for 29 of its practice areas and 60 practice areas in the top two tiers. In addition, Chambers UK, 2017, awarded 99 rankings to our partners and professionals as leading lawyers and 57 rankings in 30 separate practice areas, 36 of these rankings being in Band 1 and 2.
DAC Beachcroft holds certification under ISO9001, the quality assurance standard and ISO27001, the information security standard.