Treasurer - DS Achieve
Organisation: DS Achieve
Vacancy Type: Treasurer
Deadline: 19th October 2019
Region: East of England
Treasurer and Finance Trustee - role profile - voluntary position
The Board of Trustees has ultimate responsibility for directing the affairs of DS Achieve, ensuring it is solvent, well-run and it delivers its objectives, as detailed in the Constitution.
As a new charity, the day to day management of DS Achieve is currently carried out by the Board of Trustees, of which there are three members. DS Achieve also has an Education Advisor who is involved in strategic planning and advisory services for the charity. The Board of Trustees meets monthly with regular communication in between meetings, as needed.
DS Achieve is looking for an additional trustee who is a qualified accountant and, preferably, has experience in managing the finances of a charity. As DS Achieve is a young and small charity, the Finance Trustee/Treasurer will need to, at least initially, take a hands-on role in the day-to-day finances and other activities of the organisation.
Oversee the financial affairs of the organisation and ensure DS Achieve complies with:
- its governing document
- charity law
- any other relevant legislation and regulations
- accepted accounting practice
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
- Monitor and report on the financial health of the organisation.
- Oversee the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits.
- Adhere to Trustee Code of Conduct.
- Attend monthly Trustee meetings.
- Use financial knowledge and skills to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions, including providing guidance on new initiatives, leading discussions and scrutinising board papers.
- Prepare and present the financial position at monthly Board meetings (balance sheet, cash flow, fundraising performance etc)
- Liaise with relevant Board members and/or volunteers, where appropriate, to ensure the financial viability of the organisation
- Make fellow Board members aware of their financial obligations and take a lead in interpreting financial data to them
- Oversee the production of an annual budget and propose its adoption at the last meeting of the previous financial year
- Ensure that the accounts are prepared and disclosed, as needed, in the form required by funders and the relevant statutory bodies (e.g. The Charity Commission)
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place, ie cheque signatories, purchasing limits, purchasing systems, petty cash/ float, online banking processes, others as appropriate
- Appraise the financial viability of plans and proposals
- Ensure the financial resources of the organisation meet its present and future needs
- Ensure the charity has an appropriate reserves policy
- Lead on appointing and liaising with auditors/an independent examiner and ensure that any recommendations are implemented
- Undertake bookkeeping duties ensuring posting and bookkeeping is kept up-to-date
- Maintain the petty cash system and regularly process petty cash claims, if required
- Regularly carry out reconciliations
- Arrange payments to creditors as appropriate and arrange appropriate signatures on payments.
- Make the necessary arrangements to collect payments from debtors and bank payments promptly
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and awareness of relevant financial practices, legislation and guidelines
- Ensure any charity equipment and assets are adequately maintained and insured
- Commitment to DS Achieve, and a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- Financial qualifications, and knowledge and experience of current and fundraising finance practice relevant to voluntary and community organisations
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and financial management (as necessary)
- Good financial analysis skills
- Excellent communicator, both written and orally
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Passion and/or interest in working with people with Down Syndrome and their families
Advert Start Date: 22nd September 2018
Contact Telephone Number: 07977 920702
Contact Name: Kelly Harris
Contact E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org