Independent Non-Executive Director - England Boxing
Recruiter: England Boxing
Posted: 15 Oct 2019
Closes: 29 Oct 2019
Sector: Media, New Media & Creative
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
England Boxing is the national governing body for amateur boxing. It represents more than 17,500 members across over 900 affiliated clubs and is committed to maximising the potential of the sport. The England Boxing Ltd Board of Directors is made up of 12 Directors; 7 boxing and 5 independents, which includes the chair.
The organisation is going through rapid change and the sport is experiencing growth in both competitive and recreational boxing. The strategy's Vision is "Inspiring and transforming lives through boxing" and aims to do this in the following ways;
- Stronger Clubs.
- An Inclusive Sport.
- A Strong NGB
- Unlocking Potential:
- Driving Profile and Income:
- Investing in the Boxing Community
The Directors are ultimately responsible for the performance of England Boxing and monitor the performance of the Chief Executive in achieving England Boxing's strategy and objectives. Principal accountabilities include:
- To provide a creative contribution to the operation of England Boxing by offering oversight, objective criticism and an independent view, removed from the day to day running of the organisation.
- To provide significant strategic input, advice and support into driving commercial and sponsorship growth through new and existing revenue streams to reduce the reliance on central funding.
- To chair the Commercial sub-committee.
- To provide constructive challenge to the Executive Leadership Team in relation to execution of the strategic plan, policy development and corporate governance
The successful Candidate will help shape the future of the sport by offering strategic advice to the Chair and Chief Executive.
Applications are invited from Candidates who demonstrate the following:
- Significant business experience supported by strong track record of achievement particularly with regards to driving marketing and communications strategies to enhance the positioning of the organisation, increase the brand awareness and ultimately growth of the governing body.
- A strong understanding of social media, the emerging trends in this space and how best to effectively use such channels for marketing, communication and engagement purposes.
- Strategic thinker, able to analyse complex information, demonstrate clear analytical intellect and add significant value to evidence-based decision making.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, able to liaise effectively with a wide range of stakeholders and audiences.
- The ability to bring an external perspective to challenge the business.
- Articulate and able to network effectively, particularly at senior levels, within the sport, with funding partners, clubs, members and the public.
- An understanding of the UK publicly funded sporting landscape would be advantageous.
The appointment will be for a period of 4 years with the opportunity for this to be extended by mutual agreement for a further term of 4 years. The Board normally meets 6 times a year most often in London. England Boxing is committed to the Sports England governance code and specifically the commitment to diversity.
This is a voluntary role with reasonable expenses reimbursed.
Application and Selection Process
To apply candidates should complete the following:
- a covering letter highlighting your motivation for the post and relevant experience;
- an up to date curriculum vitae;
Completed applications should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
England Boxing is committed to the Sports England governance code and specifically the commitment to
diversity, publicly stated on our website as follows;
“That it shall recruit and engage people with appropriate diversity, independence, skills, experience and knowledge to take effective decisions that further the organisation’s goals."