Trustee - Exeter Learning Academy Trust
Recruiter: Exeter Learning Academy Trust
Location: Exeter, Devon
Posted: 23 Oct 2017
Closes: 20 Nov 2017
Sectors: Education & Teaching
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Part Time
Exeter Learning Academy Trust is looking for an external Trustee to join their Executive Board.
Exeter Learning Academy Trust is a relatively new multi-academy trust, formed in January 2017, from four Primary Schools in Exeter. We are ambitious to grow our Trust for children aged 0-18 across the region. We will promote our school ethos and support mechanisms to schools whilst the founding schools become embedded within the Trust and plan to expand to include other schools from the 2017/18 academic year.
We have established our Members and Trust Executive Boards and have appointed a Chief Executive Officer who is also the Accountable Officer for the Trust and a School Improvement Officer who is a registered local leader. We have also appointed a Trust Business Manager.
The Trust Executive Board manages the business of the Trust and its focus is on the three core functions of governance:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding executive leaders to account for educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing financial performance and making sure money is well spent.
The key challenges for the board over the next 2 years are:
- To strengthen governance and leadership: The trust has newly developed the governance structure including the trust Executive Board and Audit and Finance Committee, and is further developing links and support to Local Governing Bodies.
- School improvement: The School Improvement Officer has developed a framework of support for schools and is identifying and supporting a central resource of expertise to be shared and maximised across the Trust schools. All schools have received an external peer review and have developed improvement plans from these reviews.
- Financial Control: The Chief Financial Officer will drive forward improved financial control and to generate economies of scale across the trust’s schools by centralising services and support functions such as recruitment and finance.
- Supporting Schools: The Board is currently looking at solutions for specific schools that are facing challenges on performance, pupil numbers or finances.
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for strategic thinkers with proven experience of helping move organisations forward. We are especially interested in individuals who bring experience gained at a senior level with a background in finance, law, education or asset utilisation, income generation within a commercial or entrepreneurial environment; organisational design and cultural change, transformational change and external relations.
Requirements for new Trustees
- Sound governance experience
- An interest in Primary School education
- Able to attend 4-6 meetings a year
- Academia; ideally with teaching or education services experience and an interest in improving the student experience of education.
- Finance expertise; ideally with a knowledge of auditing small businesses and charities.
- Human Resource Management expertise; ideally in managing small charities.
- Legal expertise; ideally in contract law.
- Strategic Change Management
- Corporate Governance
- Non-executive director
- Flexibility and willingness to travel to the Trust schools, and attend meetings as required.
Trustees/Board members are not paid though reasonable expenses are met.
To apply for the post, please send your CV and a short expression of interest to Allison Grant, Trust Business Manager, by email at: email@example.com or call 075844 36093 for more details.
The closing date for applications is Monday 20th November 2017 at 23:59PM.