Independent Non-Executive Director
- £18,750 per year
- London, City
- Time commitment:
- Approximately two days per month, more in the initial year.
- The Director will be required to attend Board and sub-committee meetings as well as Company team-building days.
Gemserv is a specialist market design, governance and assurance service provider. We provide high quality impartial advice to competitive utility and environmental markets and their participants. We deliver high quality end to end services to our clients, from policy development and initial governance frameworks, through to solution design, build and maintenance, as well as accreditation and assurance schemes and secretariat provision. We have an information security practice, Red Island, which advises blue-chip corporations, government bodies, and Small Medium Enterprises (SMEs).
Gemserv’s Board is made up of four Independent Non-Executive Directors, one of whom is the Chairman and one is drawn from our shareholder community, and three Executive Directors.
For further information please refer to our web site www.gemserv.com where previous Company accounts are available.
We are seeking an experienced finance professional to join our Board as a Non-Executive Director. The successful applicant will be expected to contribute as part of an independent Board to achieve Gemserv’s vision “to ensure that complex markets work for everyone’s benefit” and deliver its medium term goal “to establish a financially, ethically & environmentally sustainable business delivering £20m revenue with a profit margin in excess of 12% by 2018”.
The successful applicant will be a CCAB qualified accountant, expected to join the Audit and Risk Committee and also be capable of chairing this Committee in due course. A good working knowledge in any of our sectors would be a key advantage: water, environmental initiatives, information security, telecoms & energy.
Personal Requiremnets and Experience
We are seeking candidates with strong independent and lateral thinking capability and good listening skills, who can also operate in a highly collaborative environment.
- Senior financial management experience and ideally non-executive director experience.
- A sound understanding of company legislation and company governance.
- An understanding of the business model of consultancy based organisations.
- A keen willingness to share one’s own ideas and constructively challenge others within a spirit of partnership and mutual respect.
- A team player.
- An ability to think laterally and optimise from a range of solutions coupled with strong interpersonal, listening and influencing skills.
- Good commercial skills and an ability to understand complex industry-wide systems and processes and their impact upon the Company.
- A working knowledge of any of the Gemserv/Red Island sectors would be an advantage.
- Promote the long-term success of the Company
- Support the development of a culture which is in line with the Company’s vision, mission and values
- Promote, protect, develop and extend the business of the Company
- Appoint members of the Executive Team
- Monitor the performance of the Executive Team in meeting agreed goals and targets, including the delivery of services, improvements and financial performance
- Ensure that the Board acts in the best interests of the Company and its stakeholders, and is fully accountable for the services provided to clients
- Serve on the Board and its other sub-committees as required and in accordance with the relevant terms of reference
- Provide advice to the Chairman and Board on the performance of the Board, Executive Team and the appropriate levels and structure of the remuneration of Executive Directors
- Participate, whenever possible, in Company events
- Chair the Audit and Risk Committee
- As Chair of the Audit and Risk Committee and as a qualified finance professional, ensure that
- Appropriate scrutiny is applied to the integrity of financial information and controls
- Risk management systems are robust and defensible
- External auditors are discharging their responsibilities effectively
Gemserv are interested in seeking candidates with diverse experience although preference will be given to candidates who are:
- CCAB qualified accountants
In addition we will also value the following:
- Chartered Director
- Financial Times Non-Executive Director Diploma
- Company secretary qualifications
- Curriculum Vitae; and
- Brief cover letter outlining how your experience meets the requirements of this role.
For any queries, please contact Mandeep Thandi on 0207 090 1000 or by the above email.
- Applications must be submitted by: 12th October
- CV short listing: 28th September & 14th October
- First round interviews: 12th & 21st October
- Final round interviews: 11th & 18th November. This session will also include a presentation on a Gemserv related topic.
Interviews during both rounds will last approximately 1½ hours. Candidates should ensure they are available to attend any of the above interview dates.