Independent Non-Executive Director:
- Salary: £18,000 per year (Under Review)
- Location: London, City
- Time commitment: Approximately two days per month, more in the initial year
- The Director will be required to attend Board and sub-committee meetings as well as Company team-building days.
Gemserv is a specialist market design, governance and assurance service provider. We provide high quality impartial advice to competitive utility and environmental markets and their participants. We deliver high quality end to end services to our clients, from policy development and initial governance frameworks, through to solution design, build and maintenance, as well as accreditation and assurance schemes and secretariat provision. We have an information security practice – Red Island, which advises blue-chip corporations, government bodies, and Small Medium Enterprises (SMEs).
Gemserv’s Board is made up of three Independent Non-Executive Directors (one of whom is the Chairman), one Non-Executive Director from our shareholder community and three Executive Directors.
For further information please refer to our website where previous Company accounts are available.
We are seeking an experienced finance professional to join our Board as a Non-Executive Director. The successful applicant will be expected to contribute as part of an independent Board to achieve Gemserv’s vision “to ensure that complex markets work for everyone’s benefit” and deliver its medium term goal “to establish a financially, ethically & environmentally sustainable business delivering £20m revenue with a profit margin in excess of 12% by 2018”.
The successful applicant will be a CCAB qualified Accountant, expected to join the Audit and Risk Committee and also be capable of chairing this Committee in due course. A good working knowledge in any of our sectors would be a key advantage: water, environmental initiatives, information security, telecoms, energy.
Personal Requirements and Experience:
We are seeking candidates with strong independent and lateral thinking capability, good listening skills who can also operate in a highly collaborative environment.
- Senior financial management experience and ideally non-executive director experience
- A sound understanding of company legislation and company governance
- An understanding of consultancy-based organisations
- A keen willingness to share one’s own ideas and constructively challenge others within a spirit of partnership and mutual respect
- An ability to think laterally and optimise from a range of solutions coupled with strong interpersonal, listening and influencing skills
- Good commercial skills and an ability to understand complex industry-wide systems and processes and their impact upon the Company and a working knowledge of any of the Gemserv/Red Island sectors would be an advantage.
- Promote the long-term success of the Company
- Support the development of a culture which is in line with the Company’s vision, mission and values
- Promote, protect, develop and extend the business of the Company
- Appoint senior management
- Monitor the performance of the Executive Team in meeting agreed goals and targets, including the delivery of services, improvements and financial performance
- Ensure that the Board acts in the best interests of the Company and its stakeholders, and is fully accountable for the services provided to clients
- Serve on the Board and its other sub-committees as required and in accordance with the relevant terms of reference
- Provide advice to the Chairman and Board on the performance of the Board, Executive Team and the appropriate levels and structure of the remuneration of Executive Directors and participate, whenever possible, in Company events
- Chair the Audit and Risk Committee
- As Chair of the Audit and Risk Committee and as a qualified finance professional, ensure
- Appropriate scrutiny is applied to the integrity of financial information and controls
- The risk management systems are robust and defensible and that the external auditors are discharging their responsibilities effectively
Gemserv is interested in seeking candidates with diverse experience although preference will be given to candidates who are:
- CCAB qualified Accountant
In addition we will also value the following:
- Chartered Director
- Financial Times Non-Executive Director Diploma and/or company secretary qualifications
Please forward the following documents via email:
- Curriculum Vitae
- A brief cover letter
- A short summary (max 150 words) on your interpretation of Gemserv’s Vision “to ensure that complex markets work for everyone’s benefit” within the context of the markets in which we operate and a short summary (Max 150 words) on how do you see risk management processes contributing to strategic plans
For any queries, please contact Mandeep Thandi on 0207 090 1000 or by email.
CV short listing: 23rd & 30th April 2015
First Round interviews: 28th April & 7th May 2015
Final Round interviews: 20th & 27th May 2015
This session will also include a presentation on a Gemserv related topic.
Interviews during both rounds will last approximately 1½ hours. Candidate should ensure they are available to attend any of the above interview dates.