Non-Executive Chair - Harwich Haven Authority
Date Posted: 16/03/2020
Closing Date: 17/04/2020
Having celebrated our 156 year anniversary last year, we are looking forward to the challenge of strengthening our role in safeguarding the best natural haven on the east coast of England. We cover an area across the River Stour, the lower part of the River Orwell, Harwich Harbour and an area seaward extending 12 nautical miles from the harbour entrance. We provide services for shipping using the commercial ports of Felixstowe, Ipswich, Harwich International, Harwich Navyard and Mistley and also pilot boarding and landing services for the rivers Thames, Medway, Blackwater, Colne and Crouch. Our vision is to be an exemplary Trust Port offering world class services, working with all stakeholders for a flourishing Haven.
We are a statutory harbour authority governed by an independent Board charged with acting in the interests of its stakeholders. We receive no public funding and do not issue, nor are we required to pay a dividend or any form of equity. Any surplus from operations is reinvested for the provision or improvement of facilities. Following a successful term of office, our Chair is stepping down, and we are looking for a strong replacement to enable our organisation to be in the best possible position to face the challenges ahead where we are likely to see fewer but larger, more efficient vessels, increasing levels of automation and an ever more competitive environment.
You will be an experienced Non-Executive Director with a track record in providing effective leadership within a complex commercial organisation. With experience of working at a comparable scale, stakeholder engagement will be a natural strength as will your ability to lead a highly credible team of people. With a clear commitment to diversity and a demonstrable understanding and experience of business and commercial imperatives, you will bring a breadth of experience to the organisation and the role.
These are exciting times of the organisation, and this opportunity provides a great chance to make a positive impact and contribution.
Candidates must be able to display key personal qualities:
- A strategic perspective, with the ability to see the bigger picture and long term opportunities and impacts
- Good leadership skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders and partners in a diverse range of organisations at multiple levels
- A collaborative style, with strong interpersonal skills
Candidates must have substantial experience at non-executive level on comparable Boards (not necessarily in the ports sector).
Candidates must be able to demonstrate:
- A track record in providing effective leadership in a complex commercial organisation with a group of diverse stakeholders (local, regional, national and international), within an organisation of comparable scale
- A sound understanding and experience of good governance
- Commitment to the Nolan Principles in public life
- An appreciation and commitment to diversity
- An understanding and experience of business and commercial imperatives
Candidates should be able to demonstrate experience in some of the following areas:
- Working with central government
- Building and structuring commercial partnerships and projects
- The Ports or maritime sector
- Industry regulation
- Stakeholder engagement
- Organisation development
- Strategy development
- Executive experience at Board level
- Major infrastructure
We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all under-represented groups.
How to Apply
Please contact Michael Dobson on 020 7426 3968, Julie Myers on 07595 779915 or Matt Malone on 0113 205 6063 at our recruitment partners GatenbySanderson for an informal discussion.
To apply and for further information, visit www.hhaappointments.com.