Chair - Highlands and Islands Airports Ltd
Remuneration: £22,320 Per Annum
Location: Highland (Scotland)
Closing date: 03 September 2018 at midnight
Appointment of the Chair of Highlands and Islands Airports Limited.
Scottish Ministers are looking to appoint the new Chair of the Board of Highlands and Islands Airports Limited. The appointment is for three years and will commence on 1 November 2018.
Highlands and Islands Airports Limited (HIAL) is a public body wholly owned by Scottish Ministers. The Company operates and manages 11 airports in the Highlands and Islands (Barra, Benbecula, Campbeltown, Inverness, Islay, Kirkwall, Stornoway, Sumburgh, Tiree and Wick) and Dundee. These airports are vital to the social and economic welfare of the areas they serve and enable the communities to stay connected.
None of HIAL's airports operates on a solely commercial basis and the Scottish Government provides subsidy to HIAL to close the gap between commercial revenue and operating costs to allow services to be maintained.
Issues considered by the Board include the overall strategy and direction of the business; security, safety and operational matters, commercial and route development, financial management, risk management, pay and pensions.
Role of the Chair of the Board
The Board meets regularly to provide strategic direction for the Company. Major policy decisions are made at Board level drawing on information provided by the Management Team, the Scottish Government and other appropriate sources of information.
The decisions of the Board are actioned through the Managing Director and the senior management team of the Company. The Chair will demonstrate clear and effective leadership of the Board to ensure that the views of all Board members are taken into account while giving clear direction to the management of the company on how to proceed.
The role involves:
- providing effective strategic leadership to the Board and the Company in the management and operation of its 11 airports;
- working closely with the Scottish Government to deliver Ministers' policies and priorities;
- leading the development of the Company's strategic plan;
- overseeing the continuous improvement of the management of the Company;
- monitoring expenditure and promoting efficiencies and revenue generation, the maintenance of its airports estates and related investments and commercial opportunities;
- representing and speaking on behalf of the Board in dealings with Ministers, the media and a wide range of stakeholders; and
- assessing the performance of individual Board members and the Managing Director on an annual basis.
Applicants will be expected to:
- provide strategic leadership to a Board and form a robust and supportive relationship with the Managing Director and Directors;
- demonstrate high standards of communication, presentational and media skills in order to act as the public face nationally;
- have a proven track record of relationship building and networking with stakeholders from the public and private sectors;
- demonstrate recent skills in ensuring effective corporate governance;
- have a successful track record operating in a commercial environment and in particular in relation to the economic development of communities and stakeholders;
- demonstrate a clear understanding of the public and political environment in which HIAL operates.
The Chair will be required to devote a minimum of the equivalent of six days per month to the post and receives £22,320 per annum (72 days at a daily rate of £310.00), which is non-pensionable. Travel and subsistence costs and reasonable receipted childcare and dependent carer expenses directly related to the work of HIAL will also be reimbursed.
The appointment is for three years. There is the possibility of reappointment subject to evidence of effective performance and satisfying the skills and knowledge required at the time of reappointment and beyond. Any appointments and subsequent reappointments will not extend beyond a maximum of eight years.
An application pack and full details on this and other public appointments can be found via the link below.
The closing date for applications is Monday, 3 September 2018.
Further information about duties and functions of Highlands and Islands Airports Limited can also be found at www.hial.co.uk or by contacting Gary Cox, Transport Scotland on 0131 244 0867 or at email@example.com
The Scottish Ministers are committed to diversity and equality and particularly welcome applications from groups currently under-represented on the Boards of Scotland's public bodies, such as women, disabled people, ethnic minorities and people aged under 50.
Accessibility to public appointments is a fundamental requirement and the public appointments process promotes, demonstrates and upholds equality of opportunity and treatment to all applicants. The Scottish Government will always give consideration to disability-related reasonable adjustments that an applicant might request to enable them to meet the person specification and participate fully in the selection process.
Appointed on merit; committed to diversity and equality
Please apply online. If you experience any difficulties accessing our website, or in the event that you require a word version of the application form, please contact the Public Appointments Team on (Freephone) 0300 244 1898, by email at PA_Applications_Mailbox@gov.scot, or by writing to the Public Appointments Team, Scottish Government, Area 3F North, Victoria Quay, Edinburgh EH6 6QQ.