Lead Non-Executive Directors - Home Office
Body: Home Office
Appointing Department: Home Office
Sector: Charity & Public Sector
Location: 2 Marsham Street, London
Number of Vacancies: Various
Time Requirements: 3 years
Closed for Applications: 04/02/2020
We are seeking high-calibre Non-Executive Directors (NEDs) with substantial experience of leading complex, delivery focused organisations, to support the Home Secretary in the realisation of her ambitious agenda. Non-Executive Directors provide a key role in diversifying and strengthening the strategic and operational leadership of the Home Office. They complement the skills and experience of Government Ministers and officials by bringing constructive challenge and advice to the Department’s work through a fresh, independent, and external perspective. You will work closely with ministers and officials to support the delivery of a portfolio of priorities linked to key departmental commitments.
- Attend the Departmental Board which is chaired by the Secretary of State for the Home Department. Provide independent advice, support and challenge to the Executive Team to help shape the Department’s work, particularly in terms of delivery.
- Support the Secretary of State in her role as Chair of the Board, constructively challenging and contributing to the development of strategy and business planning, including the setting and development of key objectives and targets.
- Work with the Permanent Secretaries and senior managers to scrutinise the performance of the organisation in meeting agreed goals and objectives, and monitor the reporting of performance, including financial targets.
- Support the delivery of a portfolio of departmental priorities by providing support, challenge and independent assurance
- Support the Board in developing skills and tools to help it engage with strategic issues in ways which have practical resonance.
- Connect the Board to people and organisations who can provide different perspectives, opinions and expertise which will assist in furthering the business of the Department.
- Follow the Seven Principles of Public Life set out by the Nolan Committee on Standards in Public Life.
It is essential that you provide evidence and proven examples against each of the selection criteria below in your personal statement.
- Essential Criteria and experience for this role
- Board Level senior leadership experience, as an executive or Non-Executive in large and complex organisations with a specific focus on delivery, ideally in digital, data and technology; automation and efficiency; transformation; operational delivery; or Audit and Risk Assurance.
- Experience of taking high level ideas, turning them into deliverable products or programmes; and monitoring delivery programmes to successful outcomes.
- Ability to understand complex strategic issues quickly, and analyse and resolve difficult problems;
- An understanding of the sectors and partners with which the Department operates, and their commercial drivers;
- An understanding of the key challenges faced by the public sector and the ability to bring experience to bear on these challenges;
- An engaging and collaborative working style with the ability to adapt to a wide range of political and non-political partners; and
- A strong desire to support the successful delivery of the department core agenda.
- Desirable criteria and experience for this role
- An understanding of how government works, including the role of Departmental Boards, and of the role of NEDs in relation to those of executives and Ministers.
- Previous Non-Executive Director experience on a public or private sector Board.
How to Apply
- A comprehensive CV setting out your career history and including details of any professional qualifications.
- A short supporting statement (maximum two sides A4) giving evidence of the strength and depth of your ability to meet the essential criteria for the role. Please provide specific examples to demonstrate how you meet each of the experience, qualities and skill areas identified in the person specification.
- The details of two professional referees who can be approached for references.
- In addition, please also complete and return via email the forms at Annex A, and and Annex B relating to diversity and conflicts of interest.
Completed applications should be emailed to email@example.com with ‘HOME OFFICE NED RECRUITMENT 2020’ in the email title field.
This post is NOT regulated by The Commissioner for Public Appointments.