Judicial Appointments Board for Scotland - Legal Members
Remuneration: £290 per day
Location: Edinburgh, City of
Closing date: 26 November 2018 at midday
Appointment of two Legal Members (Solicitor and Advocate)
The Judicial Appointments Board for Scotland (JABS) is an advisory body that plays a key role in ensuring an open and transparent selection process based on merit for specific judicial appointments.
The Board's functions are:
- to recommend to Scottish Ministers individuals for appointment to judicial offices within the Board's remit, and
- to provide advice to Scottish Ministers in connection with such appointments.
We are looking to appoint two Legal Members (Solicitor and Advocate) to the Board. The Solicitor Member must be a solicitor practising in Scotland and the Advocate Member must be before the courts of Scotland.
- Remuneration: The current fee is £290 per day. Travel, dependant carer costs and reasonable business expenses are also met.
- Time commitment: The total time commitment expected from Solicitor and Advocate Members is likely to be up to 40 days per year depending on the number of appointment rounds. A commitment closer to the maximum is more likely in years in which the Board is running a large appointment exercise.
- Period of Appointment: The term will be for up to four years, with the possibility of re-appointment for up to a further four years. Any reappointment is subject to evidence of an effective performance and to satisfying the requirements of the person specification for the role at the time of re-appointment. Re-appointment is not automatic. The total period of appointment must not exceed eight years.
- Location: JABS' meetings will normally be held at their offices in Edinburgh.
- Interviews: Interviews will be held on 12 and 13 December in Edinburgh.
- Further information: If you would like to find out more about the role of JABS and its members please visit their website: https://www.judicialappointments.scot/
Full details of the skills, knowledge and experience required for these appointments are contained in the Applicant Information Pack. You can access the pack via the link below.
Closing date for applications is 12:00 noon, 26 November 2018.
Scottish Ministers welcome applications from groups currently under-represented on Scotland's public bodies, such as women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people aged under 50.
Appointed on merit; committed to diversity and equality
Please apply online. If you experience any difficulties accessing our website, or in the event that you require a word version of the application form, please contact the Public Appointments Team on (Freephone) 0300 244 1898, by email at PA_Applications_Mailbox@gov.scot, or by writing to the Public Appointments Team, Scottish Government, Area 3F North, Victoria Quay, Edinburgh EH6 6QQ.