Trustee - Little Hearts Matter
Organisation: Little Hearts Matter
Vacancy Type: Trustee
Deadline: 20th June 2019
Region: Nation Wide
Little Hearts Matter is seeking to expand & strengthen its Trustee Board with someone who has the experience and networking abilities to help us grow efficiently.
Little Hearts Matter
Little Hearts Matter offers support and information to, and represents the needs of, children and families following a diagnosis of single ventricle heart disease, half a working heart. These congenital cardiac conditions can never be cured, even following repeated surgery, so the children have to learn to live within the restrictions that their disability and fears for their future create.
Little Hearts Matter is there from the time parents learn of their child's condition, through risk filled treatment into a challenge filled life at home. The charity supports the children, and their families, through their hopes and aspirations and the gradual realisation that they will never have the same life as their peers.
Becoming an LHM Charity Trustee/Director
Little Hearts Matter is a member-led organisation and it is the role of our Board of Trustees to ensure that the charity's range of support services meet the needs of its ever-growing membership. Working closely with the charity's Chief Executive, the Board is responsible for the governance, management and strategic planning of the charity's activities as well as ensuring the continued financial stability of the organisation. In addition, it ensures that there is good safeguarding practice throughout the charity.
The Board is currently made up of a mix of members and non-members of the charity and they are also Directors of the incorporated charity. We are now looking to strengthen the existing Board line-up so that we have the right breadth of knowledge and skills to facilitate the charity's ongoing strategy as well as ensure it is in a robust position to be able to respond to both our membership's needs as well as external changes and demands.
Applications are welcomed from those who wish to join an experienced, friendly, enthusiastic leadership team and who can display:
- experience of working at senior or Board level, providing strategic leadership during times of change. The ability to analyse information and prepare well for Board meetings is crucial.
- vision, enthusiasm, and excellent communication and interpersonal skills – the ability to work well as a team, influence Board decisions, and challenge and support the Executive team.
- a commitment to helping families at times of crisis, fully supporting our charitable object and focus.
- is motivated to support our work and has the ability to be a passionate ambassador for the children and family members of Little Hearts Matter.
- can commit to attending 5 meetings a year, including an annual strategy day (currently held either at the Birmingham office or over Skype on a Saturday or Sunday), and members' Open Day event, as well as being involved in Sub Committees and Project Groups as required.
- can demonstrate a passion and commitment that matches our own.
We are particularly interested to hear from applicants with experience as follows:
- Professional experience of working and networking within the corporate/commerce world.
- Child or youth care management experience, either through schools or social services.
- Marketing and communications experience, with a thorough understanding of digital/web opportunities.
Ready to make your mark? We want you on board
We have a clear strategy for moving the charity forward over the coming years, for maintaining and building on the very valuable support and information we provide our members, and for raising even more awareness of the needs of our families and our special children. Your contribution would be both hugely valuable, massively rewarding and will give you the opportunity to help change things for the better.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community and are committed to equality of opportunity and an inclusive, diverse team. Each application will be treated on its own merit.
An induction programme and training will be provided. Charity Trustee/Director positions are for 3 years, are not remunerated but all reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed.
To apply, please provide:
- A current comprehensive CV outlining your key achievements in previous and current roles.
- A supporting statement, explaining how you believe your skills and experience match the requirements of the role, directly addressing the person specification.
- Details of two referees (who will not be contacted without your prior consent).
If you would like an informal conversation about the role, prior to application, please contact Julie Fairman via email on firstname.lastname@example.org.