2 Independent Board Members - London Waste and Recycling Board
Recruiter: LONDON COUNCILS
Location: London (Central), London (Greater)
Salary: £6,000 per annum (plus additional payments for committee membership)
Posted: 23 Jun 2020
Closes: 13 Jul 2020
Job Function: Board Member
Term: 4 years, from August 2020 (renewable once)
We are living through a climate emergency, and the management of materials, resources, waste and recycling is increasingly recognised as being critical to reducing damaging carbon emissions. The London Waste and Recycling Board (LWARB) is a partnership of the Mayor of London and the London Boroughs which aims to enable a low-carbon circular economy in London with a focus on increasing recycling rates, reducing waste and tackling consumption-based CO2e emissions.
The London Waste and Recycling Board was established by the Greater London Authority Act 2007 and its membership and constitution set out in the London Waste and Recycling Board Order 2008. LWARB’s objectives, as defined by the Act, are to promote and encourage, so far as relating to Greater London:
- the production of less waste;
- an increase in the proportion of waste that is reused or recycled;
- the use of methods of collection, treatment and disposal of waste that are more beneficial to the environment.
In doing so it is required to act in accordance with the provisions of the London Environment Strategy dealing with municipal waste management and in general conformity with the London Plan. Within certain constraints, the Board is free to act as it deems appropriate to facilitate its objectives. Full details of the Board’s past and current activities may be seen on the LWARB website at www.lwarb.gov.uk
In addition to its traditional role of supporting the London boroughs’ waste services, LWARB is greatly expanding its work with businesses and in the field of circular economy and is currently developing a range of commercial offerings, including a consultancy service providing advice to local authorities and businesses.
Over the next five years we have a c.£20m budget and are now seeking two new independent board members to represent London Councils on the board and to steer our programmes and help us achieve our objective of accelerating the transition to a low carbon circular economy in the capital. The successful candidates will be:
- Experienced commercial leaders who understand innovation, have experience at the interface of the public and private sectors and understand the opportunities and constraints of public sector commercialisation; and/or
- Experienced marketing or customer relationship leaders who can advise on marketing strategies and developing and monetising partnerships; and/or
- Small business investors or owners with an understanding of the dynamics of small business growth, ideally with experience of government funding and support for small businesses.
The Board comprises eight members under the chairmanship of the Mayor of London or his nominated representative. The remaining seven members are as follows:
- Four London borough councillors appointed by London Councils
- Two independent members appointed by London Councils
- One independent member appointed by the Mayor
Board members’ time commitment is anticipated to be two days a month including attendance at regular board meetings and other events.
Appointments will be for four years, after which London Councils may choose to reappoint their independent members for a further term of up to four years. No one is permitted to serve on the Board for a total of more than eight years.
The appointed independent members may not be elected members of any London borough or the Common Council.
Further information pack, please visit https://jobs.londoncouncils.gov.uk/
For an informal discussion, please contact Katharina Winbeck, Strategic Lead for Transport and Environment, London Councils (email@example.com)
Please send an up to date CV and personal statement by 9am BST on Monday 13th July 2020 to Katharina Winbeck at London Councils, Katharina.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interviews are currently anticipated to be during 23/24 July 2020.