Independent Non-Executive Director - Low Level Waste Repository
Recruiter: Hays Client Branded
Salary: £1.7k per day
Posted: 27 Nov 2019
Closes: 03 Jan 2020
Responsibilities: Executive Management
Sector: Public Sector
Contract Type: Permanent
Low Level Waste Repository
Independent Non Executive Director (Chair of Audit and Risk Committee)
For over 60 years, the Low Level Waste Repository site in Cumbria has ensured that low level radioactive waste generated in the UK is managed in a way that protects people and the environment. The site’s operator, LLW Repository Ltd (LLWR), is seeking to recruit an independent Non Executive Director.
Our mission – to clean up the UK’s nuclear legacy with care for people and the environment – is of vital national importance. LLWR has shown a commitment to consistently improve its approach to safety management and learn from best practice, inside and outside the nuclear sector.
Currently owned by its parent body (UK Nuclear Waste Management Ltd), LLWR is the legal entity responsible for; delivering a range of waste management services, managing the UK’s National Waste Programme and operating the LLWR site - all on behalf of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA).
This is an exciting time to join the board of LLWR. A number of opportunities to adopt a more integrated approach to radioactive waste management across the UK have been identified by the NDA and LLWR will be central to many of these. LLWR has already demonstrated a progressive and dynamic approach in this field, enabling its customers to access options which re-use or recycle material where appropriate, delivering a 95% diversion of waste into other outputs.
Additionally, the broader NDA group is undergoing substantial change, as it creates the ‘OneNDA Group’ - a way of working together to find more effective and efficient approaches to nuclear clean-up and decommissioning, on behalf of the tax-payer.
About the role
LLWR requires an independent Non-Executive Director (INED) to provide oversight, independence and impartiality to the board as well as constructively challenge its executive directors.
The INED will also be responsible for chairing the Audit and Risk Assurance Committee (ARAC); managing its affairs and ensuring that it is properly organised and functions efficiently. The ARAC Chair needs to provide insight and strong constructive challenge where required to ensure control measures for key business risks are in place and working effectively.
The Board meets once every month in Cumbria and all Directors are expected to attend the majority of meetings in person. In addition, the successful candidate will also be expected to Chair the ARAC meetings every quarter in the same location.
Successful candidates for the post should demonstrate
- Exceptional communication skills and a high-level of personal impact with the ability to provide constructive and independent challenge and support to the Board
- Strategic skills – including an ability to analyse complex issues, maintain independence of view and to guide and facilitate the resolution of complex debates
- Experience in the nuclear or other high hazard or highly regulated sector would be desirable, but is not essential, as would prior exposure to working with government
- Independence of judgement, the capacity to bring a fresh, external view to decision-making; and ability to analyse complex information and reach practical decisions
- Experience of operating at board level, with a strong understanding of governance models, an inclusive and collaborative approach to board membership and committee chairing
- Strong knowledge of risk management in a complex organisation
- A strong focus on the needs and interests of customers, together with an understanding of communication & engagement techniques
For a confidential conversation regarding this opportunity please contact Andrew Timlin or Margaux Shipley on 02072598743 or see our dedicated microsite www.hays.co.uk/jobs/llwr
- Closing date: 3rd of January 2020
- Shortlist: 8th of January 2020
- Final Interviews: w/c 13th of January