External Trustees - Marjon Students’ Union
Marjon Students’ Union (MSU) is seeking an external and alumni trustee to join their trustee board.
MSU strives to be the Student Voice of a unique educational establishment and to further enhance student experience and cater to student needs, from representation, recreation, resistance, entertainment, to welfare. Its continuity, financial stability and academic and welfare services have served the institution and its students resolutely over the years and aspire to do so for many years to come.
Marjon Student Union is seeking to improve its Board diversity to ensure that a range of voices are heard and reflect the community of Plymouth Marjon University. As such we particularly welcome applications from people of the following backgrounds:
- People of Colour
- Trans and Non-Binary
- Disabled Applicants
For more details, please visit our website where you will be able to download the recruitment pack:
For further information or to arrange an informal discussion please e-mail Mick Davies, MSU General Manager, email@example.com
To apply please send a CV and a Covering Letter to Mick Davies, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications is 12pm Friday 23rd October 2020
Interviews scheduled for w/c 26th October 2020
Trustees/Board members are not paid though reasonable expenses are met.
- Experience of operating strategically and inputting into strategic plans
- Experience of setting strategy, monitoring targets and scrutinising/evaluating performance
- Experience of financial management and legal and compliance matters
- Understanding and practical experience of governance, compliance and policy setting
- Experience of operating as part of a successful team
- Ability and willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to Marjon Student Union
- Willingness to demonstrate the values of Marjon Student Union
- Knowledge of trusteeship and/or scrutiny overview
- Understanding of Students’ Unions/Universities and the Higher Education sector
- Understanding of relevant legislation in relation to students’ unions including the Charity Act 2010 and the Higher Education Act 1994
- Experience of, or significant exposure to boards
- An interest in Student Experience/Higher Education
- Able to attend 4-6 meetings a year
Alumni Trustee To have left the university (student, officer or staff) before July 2017
- Finance expertise; ideally with a knowledge of auditing small business and charities.
- Human Resource Management expertise; ideally in managing small charities.
- Legal expertise; ideally in contract law.
- Academia; ideally in/at a doctoral or professorial level fluent in HE industry with an interest in Student Voice & Student Experience issues.