Non-Executive Directors - Milford Haven Port Authority
Recruiter: Milford Haven Port Authority
Location: Pembrokeshire, Wales
Salary: £14,730 per annum
Posted: 14 Feb 2020
Closes: 20 Mar 2020
Job Function: Non Executive Director
Industry: Transport / Logistics, Import / Export
The Port of Milford Haven is Wales’ busiest port and a leading UK shipping gateway. A Trust Port with a duty to invest profit sustainably, the Port had an annual turnover of £22.1 million in 2018 and employs c. 170 people, The Port is widely recognised in the industry as the energy capital of the UK, handling c.20% of Britain’s seabourne trade in oil and gas and is the UK’s busiest port in terms of liquid bulk.
The Port operates Pembroke Port, home to South Wales’ busiest ferry terminal, handling thousands of tonnes of cargo and passengers moving between the UK and Ireland. It owns and operates Milford Fish Docks, Wales’ largest fishing port, and Milford Waterfront, a leisure facility that is continually evolving for boaters, shoppers and food lovers. The business also owns an extensive property portfolio around the port.
The Port is looking to further diversify its operations whilst ensuring that current services remain excellent. With the almost limitless resources of wave, tide and wind energy, the Port recognises the potential of the renewable energy sector, and as such, is working with a number of industry partners to deliver Pembroke Dock Marine, a world-class energy and engineering centre. The Port’s great electricity transmission infrastructure, oil and gas pipelines, and good road and rail links to the rest of the UK make it ideally placed to service an international market. The Port is committed to working with its supply chain to attract new business and it is boosting the retail, dining and leisure facilities at the Waterfront; cementing itself as a key contributor to Pembrokeshire’s tourist economy.
MHPA is governed by a Board comprising the Chair, six Non-Executive Directors and 3 Executive Directors. Three Non-Executive Directors are stepping down in 2020. As such, MHPA is seeking to recruit 3 replacements with specific knowledge and experience in: HR, Stakeholders, and Energy.
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES
- A team player with excellent strategic skills, you will possess Board-level experience within a substantial private sector business ideally from a relevant environment, which may include: maritime, property, regeneration, leisure or tourism.
- You will possess a proven track record of effectively and objectively contributing to business strategy through making informed business, strategic and financial decisions; demonstrating openness to challenge and willingness to reconsider and revaluate.
- A natural relationship builder, you will be a highly credible ambassador for MHPA in building networks at a senior level with a complex range of stakeholders.
- Focused on achievements and generating outcomes, you will have gained a strong reputation as a person of authenticity who commits to an organisation’s purpose, vision and values; maintaining the highest levels of integrity, objectivity and independence.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
Candidates must possess one of the following areas of specialist knowledge and experience:
- Brings specific knowledge and professional expertise of organisational requirements and impact in building a successful business as part of a management team.
- Understands, and is up to date on, the main people issues affecting a business with a turnover of approximately £30 million and employing 200 staff.
- Has demonstrable knowledge and experience of HR, Organisational Development, Corporate Governance, Pensions, and Rewards.
- A strong HR generalist who understands the application and value of organisational and personnel development aligned to meeting strategic objectives.
- Experience of leading and implementing culture change within an organisation.
- Experience of working in a small but diversified business with different teams and with unions, or in a unionised environment, is desirable.
- Bringing established close working relationships with the wider community of MHPA Stakeholders.
- Ability to chair meetings and develop consensus rather than conflict at meetings involving individuals representing the interests of various major stakeholders.
- Understands, and is up to date on, the main issues affecting an infrastructure business and statutory entity with national obligations operating within a local community.
- A good understanding of our Trust Port status and consequent appreciation of the need for working collaboratively with stakeholders to help achieve prosperity for the region.
- Acts in an individual objective capacity, not as a representative, to further enhance stakeholder relationships.
- Acts as an ambassador for the Port.
- Bringing the knowledge and professional expertise associated with a senior leadership position in the international energy sector.
- Brings knowledge and expertise of, and preferably experience in, the midstream and downstream oil markets, including crude oil, oil refining, oil products, and the international gas sector (Incl. LNG and pipeline gas).
- Additional knowledge and expertise of, and preferably experience in, oil and LNG shipping and renewable energy (incl. wind, solar, ocean, etc) would be an advantage.
- Well networked within the energy sector nationally and internationally, and be able to bring this network to bear to benefit of MHPA
- Visionary ideas for the wider energy sector, understanding of the implications of climate change, and the impact of this on the future market conditions and trends affecting the energy sector, including fossil fuels and renewable energy.
For an informal discussion and a copy of the Candidate Brief, please contact the Goodson Thomas team on: 029 2167 4422.
To apply, visit www.goodsonthomas.com/vacancies to submit your CV and cover letter including in your application the relevant reference:
- Stakeholder NED: GT-0213-MHPA
- Energy NED: GT-2015-MHPA
- HR NED: GT-0216-MHPA
All applications will be acknowledged.
Deadline for applications: 20th March 2020
Interviews with Goodson Thomas: w/c 6th and w/c 14th April
Interviews with MHPA: 11th & 12th May 2020