Non-Executive Director - Pensions - Ministry of Defence: Defence Business Services
Recruiter: Ministry of Defence
Location: City of Bristol DBS Sites (Mainly Abbey Wood North, Bristol)
Salary: Daily rate of £500 to a maximum of £7,500 per year
Posted: 30 Nov 2017
Closes: 26 Dec 2017
Job Function: Non Executive Director
Defence Business Services Non-Executive Director - Pensions
Reference Number: 20032
- The primary responsibility of the role is to provide assurance to DBS, Defence Audit Committee, Pension Board and MOD’s Accounting Officer in respect of the Accounts and operation of the Armed Forces Pension Scheme (incorporating the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme) (AFPS/AFCS). Agree the draft Accounts, including related statements on governance and internal control, prior to finalisation, approval and publication.
- Act as a member of the DBS Audit and Risk Committee (ARC) in accordance with the terms of reference. Provide a creative and informed contribution to the formation of strategy and monitor performance towards achievement of strategy and objectives.
- Review and constructively challenge the adequacy of systems of internal control to ensure the integrity of information (financial and non-financial) and that controls and systems of risk management are robust and defensible.
- Review and advise on the effectiveness of procedures for identifying and managing significant risks and their impact on DBS and the wider organisation;
- Measure the effectiveness of processes and procedures to ensure the aims, objectives and key performance targets are being achieved in the most economic and effective manner;
- Advise on and monitor the implementation of recommendations arising from reports produced by external review bodies, including Defence Internal Audit and the National Audit Office, as well as any reviews carried out by the Information Assurance, Fraud, Security and SHEF Teams. Commission internal reviews as appropriate.
- Promote the highest standards of corporate governance.
The applicant will be required to have;
- Successful Board level experience in a large organisation or voluntary sector background.
- Expertise in accounting, audit and pensions schemes. In particular experience of the operation and actuarial valuation of Public Sector pension schemes and the requirements of IAS19; and awareness of the Hutton report and its implications for Public Sector Pension schemes.
- Good knowledge of working in a service delivery organisation managing both customer and supplier needs.
- A strong understanding of risk, corporate governance theory and best practice.
- Strong analytical, strategic thinking skills; inquisitive and independent.
- Good communication skills; ability to question intelligently, debate constructively, challenge rigorously, listen sensitively to the views of others and decide dispassionately.
- Willingness to develop and refresh knowledge, skills and understanding to ensure contribution remains informed and relevant.
- High ethical standards of integrity and probity.
Closing Date/Time: 23:00 on 26/12/2017
Interviews: Interviews to be held on Monday 22nd January 2018 and Friday 26th January 2018 at MoD Abbey Wood, Bristol.
For more information go to the Cabinet Office Centre for Public Appointments website: https://publicappointments.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/ using search keyword ‘Defence’.
How to Apply: Please send copies of the attached Diversity Information Form and Expression of Interest Form along with a covering letter and copy of your CV to: DBSCivPers-ResNONSTDAPPTS@mod.gov.uk (preferred method)
DBS NSAT Oak level 2 # 6030-8 West Wing Abbey Wood North New Road Stoke Gifford Bristol BS34 8QW