Chair - Muslim Charities Forum
Organisation: Muslim Charities Forum
Vacancy Type: Chair
Deadline: 23rd June 2019
Region: Nation Wide
Job Title: Chair of Trustees
Direct Report: CEO, Board of Trustees
Background: A general background in strategy, governance, finance, HR, fundraising would be useful. Previous experience as a Chair or Trustee would be welcomed.
Introduction to the Muslim Charities Forum
The Muslim Charities Forum (MCF) is looking to recruit an independent Chair of the Board as our current chair will be stepping down at the end of their term. MCF is the network of British Muslim Charities working for social good in the UK and abroad. Our mission is to enable British Muslim charities to become more effective and reach their full potential. We aim to establish a healthy, accountable, effective and professional Muslim charitable sector in the UK through good governance, conducting research, forming partnerships, enhancing cooperation, capacity building, and sharing good practice.
- This unremunerated position provides leadership and direction to the Board of Trustees and enables the Board to fulfil their responsibilities for the overall governance and strategic direction of the organisation.
- Ensures that the organisation pursues its objects as defined in relevant legislation/regulations.
- Works to support the CEO and employees, helping them achieve the aims of the organisation; and to optimise the relationship between the Board of Trustees and the staff.
- Facilitates the Board of Trustees in stimulating excellent, well-rounded and carefully considered strategic decision-making.
Main Responsibilities of the Chair
In relation to the Board
- Guide the formulation of strategic plans and regular review of long-term strategic aims of the charity.
- Define goals, targets and evaluate performance against agreed targets.
- Approve the annual cycle of the Board meetings, meeting agendas, chair and facilitate meetings, monitor decisions taken at meetings and ensure they are implemented.
- Liaise regularly with the Treasurer to maintain a clear grasp of the charity's financial position and to ensure full and timely financial transparency and information disclosure to the Board.
- Lead and mentor other Board members to fulfil their responsibilities and enable access to training/coaching/information to enhance the overall contribution of the Board.
- Annually review the Board structure, role, staff relationships and ensure implementation of agreed changes/developments are carried out.
- Encourage team working among Board members and encourage them to identify and recruit new Trustees as required.
- Create a strong, productive and fulfilling working relationship with Trustees and the CEO through review and self-reflective evaluation of contributions and effectiveness of the board.
In relation to the CEO
- In participation with the board, appoint the CEO and lead the appraisal process.
- Assume guardianship of the legal and financial integrity of the organisation.
- Offer support to the CEO's activities in the context of the implementation of Board's strategy.
- Maintain careful oversight of any risk to reputation and/or financial standing of the organisation.
In relation to compliance and external relations
- Represent the organisation at appropriate events and meetings.
- Lead the Board in fostering relations with potential funders and donors.
- Actively promote MCF to new potential member charities.
- Act as final stage adjudicator for disciplinary and grievance procedures if required.
- Facilitate change within the Board of Trustees, within the organisation and liaise with the CEO to achieve this.
- Undertake review of external complaints as defined by the organisation's complaints procedure.
- Ensuring adherence and compliance around key policies to e.g. Equality of Opportunity, Health & Safety and in all decisions and discussions of the Board and its sub-committees.
- Attend and be a member of other committees or working groups when appropriate in role as Chair.
E = essential, D = desirable
|QUALITIES OF THE CHAIR||E||D|
|Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship and adhering to Nolan’s seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.||X|
|Commitment to the charity’s objects, aims and values and willingness to devote time to carry out responsibilities.||
|Strategic and forward-looking vision in relation to the charity’s objects and aims.||X|
|Good, independent judgement, political impartiality and the ability to think creatively in the context of the organisation and external environment.||
|Good communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to respect the confidences of colleagues.||
|Balancing tact and diplomacy with willingness to challenge and constructively criticise.||
|Knowledge of the type of work undertaken by the organisation.||X|
|Knowledge of the challenges facing Muslim charities and wider humanitarian issues||
|Previous experience working in the international humanitarian and development field.||
|Prior experience of committee/Trustee work.||X|
|A wider involvement with the voluntary sector.||X|
|Experience of chairing meetings, committee work, some experience of charity finance, charity fundraising.||
|Leadership skills exercised through a period of change.||X|
Time Commitment & Location
- The Board meets at least FOUR times a year and the Chair is expected to be available FOUR times in a year.
- It is important that the Chair can visit the organisations office(s) and be available to the CEO once a month.
- In addition to Board Meetings, other contact – usually electronic or by telephone – will be necessary.
- Board meetings are hosted by member charities from time to time across the country.
DEADLINE 23rd June 2019
To apply for this post, please send your CV and a covering statement outlining why you should be considered for the position and how you meet the criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org We kindly request no contact from agencies please.
Advert Start Date: 23rd May 2019
Contact Telephone Number: 0203 096 1983
Contact Name: Salma Begum
Contact E-mail: email@example.com