Non-Executive Director - National Physical Laboratory
Recruiter: National Physical Laboratory
Posted: 01 Jul 2020
Closes: 9 Jul 2020
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
We're looking for a candidate to this position in an exciting company.
- To provide constructive, creative and informed challenge to support the executive management of NPL.
- To take responsibility for monitoring and providing oversight over the delivery of the agreed Corporate Plan and NPL's mission by the executive team.
- To participate actively in the decision-taking processes of the Board and to attend Board meetings.
- To allow sufficient time to prepare for and follow up from Board meeting, and to keep informed of the business itself and the wider sector.
- To take a broad view on all subjects; NEDs should not confine themselves to areas of personal interest but use wide external experience for the benefit of NPL and be proactive in applying intellectual curiosity.
- To meet and engage with a range of staff and stakeholders, both internal and external to NPL, and to support NPL's science and engineering profile.
- To seek satisfaction in the integrity of financial information and in the robustness of financial controls and systems of risk management.
- To be sufficiently conscientious, with utmost integrity and probity.
- To model and promote NPL's values, working individually and collectively as part of the Board to embed the values across NPL.
- To have a role in the succession planning of executive directors and determining appropriate levels of remuneration.
- To comply with the general duties of a Director, as set out in the Companies Act (Sections 170 - 181) and other statutory obligations, standards and codes of best practice.
- Experience of leadership within organisations of at least comparable scale and complexity.
- Genuine passion for creating an inclusive environment that fosters diversity by encouraging collaborative contribution.
- A passion and enthusiasm for working with a mission-led organisation.
- Ability to show evidence of excellent judgement and analytical ability to assimilate a range of perspectives and evidence and absorb complex information to reach reasoned and robust conclusions.
- Risk management experience and focus
- An understanding of the machinery of government and the government policy context within which the NPL operates and is owned.
- The ability to steer through challenges and achieve outcomes reflective of input from diverse contributions.
- Strong self-awareness .
- The ability to listen actively with consultative skills - referring to other perspectives where there is expertise.
- The ability to carefully manage dynamics and build consensus.
- The ability to motivate and inspire.