Chair - North East Local Enterprise Partnership
Body: North East Local Enterprise Partnership
Appointing Department: Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
Sectors: Business, Finance & Skills, Charity & Public Sector, Communities, Culture, Media & Sport, Defence, Education, Energy, Environment, Food & Rural Affairs, Health, International, Judicial, Prison & Policing, Prison & Policing, Regulation, Science & Technology, Transport
Location: 1 St James Gates, Newcastle, NE1 4AD
Skills required: Accountancy, Audit and Risk, Business / Commercial, Change Management, Communication / Media / Marketing, HR, Insurance, International Experience, IT / Digital, Legal / Judicial, Major Projects, Procurement, Regulation, Retail, Transformation
Number of Vacancies: 1
Remuneration: £20k per annum
Time Requirements: Approx. 1 day per week
This is not a ministerial appointment.
Closed for Applications: 08/06/2020
Are you an inspirational business leader with a passion for the North East of England?
The North East Local Enterprise Partnership (North East LEP) is looking to recruit a new Chair of the Board, who has a strong connection to and knowledge of the North East and its economy who will lead the creation of more and better jobs.
Andrew Hodgson, the current LEP Board Chair, is stepping down from the role and we are looking to appoint his replacement. We need someone with a strong business background and experience of building effective organisations, who has relationships across all sectors, understands the important role of the public sector and has the motivation to fully commit to and represent the North East LEP on a regional and national scale.
This is a significant Non-Executive Director position in terms of public profile, with responsibility and accountability to the North East community. The role of Chair brings with it professional rewards, with significant contact with government officials and ministers, and the opportunity to shape interventions that will make a difference to the residents and businesses of the North East. The Chair will be an advocate for the region and the successes of the North East LEP to date and in the future.
The Chair will:
- Chair Board meetings on behalf of the North East LEP
- Be the principal representative of the LEP at meetings with external stakeholders as required
- Undertake a range of activities including hosting events and delegations, making visits and presentations, ensuring that the role is visible and recognised across the region, the wider UK, government, with partners and in the media
- Provide leadership to the LEP Executive team and Non-Executive family, and be responsible for progressing the organisation’s agenda and activities
- Be a visible, active participant in the business community, with local authority Leaders, across the Northern Powerhouse and the wider LEP Network.
We anticipate that you will have business leadership experience with a high profile in the North East or a strong connection to the North East, and be someone who is genuinely motivated and driven to make our area an even better place to live and work. If you are interested in joining a progressive and vibrant LEP then this may be the role for you.
How to Apply
For more information please read the Application Pack below.
To apply for the role please send your CV and a statement, of no more than two pages, to the North East LEP’s Chief Executive Officer, Helen Golightly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your statement should include:
- How you would contribute to the delivery of the North East Strategic Economic Plan and in turn, support the region’s recovery of the impacts of COVID-19
- Examples of how you have influenced strategic decision making
- Any skills/experience/achievements that may be useful for the role and any particular areas of interest you have.
Applications will close on 8 June. Interviews will take place in early July.
This post is NOT regulated by The Commissioner for Public Appointments.