Trustee - Nunthorpe Multi-Academy Trust
Recruiter: Nunthorpe Multi-Academy Trust
Location: TS7 0LA, Middlesbrough
Posted: 10 Feb 2021
Closes: 10 Mar 2021
Sectors: Education & Teaching
Contract Type: Contract
Hours: Part Time
Could you be our next Trustee and help shape the future of young people in the Tees Valley?
We are seeking applications from people who are interested in joining our Multi Academy Trust Board to shape the next phase of the Trust’s journey and to deliver the best possible outcomes for our young people.
Nunthorpe Multi Academy Trust (NMAT) emerged in 2016 from Nunthorpe Academy. The Trust currently has one secondary school, Nunthorpe Academy and is the lead school in the North East Schools Teaching Alliance.
The Board of Trustees is the highest level governance and decision making authority within NMAT. Trustees ensure that there is a clear strategy and that the Trust’s (and its Academies) work and goals are in line with the vision to deliver the best possible outcomes for young people.
The Trust Board seeks up to three business leaders and we would welcome applications from candidates with particular experience in:
- CEO / General Management / Project management;
- Change Management/Risk Management.
Trustees should have an enthusiasm to contribute time and energy to help NMAT grow and continue with our ongoing commitment to success. Trustees must be committed to education and training. The role requires good interpersonal skills; the ability to work as a member of a team and to devote the necessary time commitment. Trustees should be curious with an enquiring mind; able to challenge the status quo to bring further improvement; be collaborative to build strong relationships and creative in problem solving and being innovative.
Previous experience or knowledge of the Education sector or experience as a Governor, Trustee or Non-Executive Director would be helpful but not essential as induction and training support is available for all Trustees.
The role of Trustee is to be the 'guardian of purpose', making sure that all decisions put the needs of the young people and our families first through:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Oversee and challenge the financial performance of the organisation and making sure best value is secured.
As a Trustee you will support Nunthorpe Multi Academy Trust in achieving the following over the next 12 - 24 months:
- Maintenance of high standards. The Trust is proud that Nunthorpe Academy is currently rated ‘Good’ by Ofsted, with the Academy’s sixth form provision judged ‘Outstanding’. The Trust is keen to ensure the highest standards are maintained.
- Over the next few years there are plans to grow the Trust. The Board will need to maintain strategic oversight and manage associated risks.
- Influence the strategic development of central capacity to support the Trust’s growth in line with its vision and growth strategy.
- Maintain strong financial controls.
You would be required to attend twelve board meetings per year. The average time commitment is around 6 hours' time per month.
Meetings: Currently all meetings are held virtually. Usual attendance for meetings would be on the Nunthorpe Academy site.
Trustees' Expenses: Unremunerated, however reasonable expenses will be paid.
NMAT is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults. All Trustees are therefore required to undertake an enhanced DBS check.
NMAT seeks to have a diverse Board and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
To apply please email RCallaghan@nunthorpe.co.uk your CV and a short statement (no more than 500 words) setting out why you would be interested in this opportunity. Please also complete the attached nomination form.