Non-Executive Director- Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust
Main area: Non-Executive Director
Hours: 4-6 days per month
Job ref: 311-NED-18A
Town: Ashton Under Lyne
Salary: £15,150 pa subject to annual review
Formed in 2002, Pennine Care has grown to become a leading provider of community and mental health services.
Our vision is to deliver the best care to patients, people and families in our local communities, by working effectively with partners to help people to live well.
We provide care to thousands of people every day. In fact our community and mental health services support around 2.4 million patient contacts each year across six boroughs of Greater Manchester - Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Stockport, Tameside and Glossop and Trafford.
As well as looking after our patients, we look after our 5,500 staff, and we’re proud to be listed in the HSJ and Nursing Times ‘Top 120 Places to Work’ list (2015). Staff are supported to continue their professional development with relevant training and progression opportunities.
We consider ourselves lucky to be based just a few miles from the wonderful city of Manchester. We have vibrant city life in one direction and rolling green countryside in the other – the best of both worlds!
The Trust provides support to all new starters, in patient facing roles bands 1 to 4, to successfully complete the Fundamental Care Certificate standards relevant to their role. The certificate provides knowledge and skills to enable staff to perform safely and effectively.
Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust is a leading provider of community and mental health services, delivering care across six boroughs of Greater Manchester. Our vision is to deliver the best care to patients, people and families in our local communities by working effectively with partners.
With a key role in the Greater Manchester Health and Social Care partnership, we are moving at pace to develop integrated health and social care services for our population. We have a workforce of 5,500 dedicated staff and an annual income of £274m.
At this exciting time in our development we have a vacancy to appoint a Non-Executive Director (NED) for our Board.
The role requires experience at Board-level (or similar) gained within a complex, service-driven environment. You will promote the highest standards of integrity and corporate governance, ensuring that quality, finance and operational demands are held in balance.
To ensure the patient voice is appropriately represented, we are seeking a candidate who can demonstrate senior level clinical experience and direct involvement with a wide range of diverse communities. Empathy for the experience of our service users and carers will be crucial, along with an ability to engage with our dedicated staff, Governors and members; keeping the patient perspective at the forefront of our decision-making.
Accustomed to high levels of accountability, you will demonstrate the credibility and political awareness to collaborate with our wide range of external stakeholders. While NHS experience would be an advantage, the Trust welcomes fresh perspectives.
We are an equal opportunity employer and ensure we meet our legal duties covered by the Equality Act. As such within our recruitment processes we will ensure there is no discrimination on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, any physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment will be decided on the basis of qualifications and merit. We have also signed up to being a disability confident employer. Currently our Board is under-represented by members from diverse backgrounds therefore we would welcome applications from BME communities.
How to respond:
Please complete the NED application form available on the Trust’s website: jobs.penninecare.nhs.uk/job/v1134234
- Closing date: Wednesday 18 July 2018
- Expected interview date: Thursday 2 August 2018
The Trust is committed to improving the working lives of our employees. We actively promote equal opportunities, flexible working and staff support. The Trust operates a no smoking policy.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expect all employees and volunteers to share this commitment. Appointments to regulated and controlled activities will require an enhanced DBS disclosure.
All new starters to Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust who are appointed to a post which requires a Disclosure Barring Certificate check (DBS) will be recharged for the full cost of the check. Substantive staff can choose to spread the cost over their first three months’ salary or, if preferable, pay the full amount from their first months’ salary. Members to the Trust bank must repay the full amount from their first pay. The Trust encourages all staff and bank workers to registered with the DBS update service at an annual cost of £13, for bank members this is obligatory. The cost of an enhanced DBS check is £44 and for a standard check £26, both attract an administration charge of £3.50.
- Please note that you will be contacted via email so it is important to check your spam filter, if any mail goes to your junk folder you will need to mark it as safe.
- Priority will be given to applications from NHS employees who have an at risk status
- Please note: This post will be on Pennine Care Terms & Conditions. If you are an internal employee currently on transferred T&C's and you are voluntarily applying for this post, please be aware that should you be appointed the T&C's of this post will transfer to Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust.
- Applicants will be informed about the progress of their application following shortlisting. Only those applicants who clearly demonstrate the criteria listed in the person specification will be shortlisted for interview. Applicants will be notified via email if they have been shortlisted or not. Computer access is available via your local Job Centre and Library.
- The Trust reserves the right to close this post once a sufficient number of applications have been submitted. It is encouraged that you complete the application at your earliest convenience to avoid disappointment.
- Applicants applying for this position who want to be considered under the disability two ticks scheme will be guaranteed an interview if they meet the essential criteria on the person specification for the post.
- Should you require a reasonable adjustment to our recruitment process please contact 0161 716 3181 at the earliest opportunity to ensure that measures can be put in place to enable your application for this post.
- Please be aware that we have a strict policy on unsolicited contact from recruitment agencies. Please do not contact Recruiting Managers directly. All recruitment is carried out via its online recruitment systems.
- The Trust can not guarantee the transfer of lease cars.
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
To print a document or save it to your computer, please click with your right mouse button on the document title and select "Save Target As...". You can then save the document in a suitable place on your computer ready to print it out. Clicking with the left mouse button will open the document in a new window (if your web browser can do so).
Further details / informal visits contact
For an informal discussion about the role please contact the Trust Chair,
Evelyn Asante-Mensah OBE on 0161 716 3001. There will also be an opportunity to meet representatives of the Trust and get valuable information to support your application, details of which can be found in the candidate pack
at the above link.
Closing date: Wednesday 18 July 2018
Expected interview date: Thursday 2 August 2018
If you have problems applying, contact
- Telephone 0161 716 3380