Board Member - Pop Up Projects
Nationally active and internationally reputable children’s literature agency and Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation invites up to four new members with senior / executive-level experience to join our Board of Non-Executive Directors as we approach our tenth anniversary. Areas of expertise sought are Philanthropy, Marketing, Publishing and Law. This is a volunteer position.
Pop Up is a nationally active and internationally reputable non-profit social enterprise and Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation, established 2011. We deliver imaginative, collaborative and ambitious programmes which transform lives through literature, especially through working with people in deprived places and challenging circumstances.
Since 2011 we have provided rich, sustained and artist-led literary experiences - including 7,000 hours of author workshops, 50,000 books to schools, 3,500 trained teachers - for over 100,000 disadvantaged and excluded children and young people. Through this work we have cultivated passionate readers and motivated creative writers in some of the most challenged communities in the UK, many on the frontline of austerity. We’re also investing in the next generation of writers and illustrators by supporting talented aspiring and emerging voices.
THE ROLE OF OUR BOARD
The Board’s primary, statutory remit is to review and question, advise on and enhance key areas of the company’s work including:
- Vision, mission, aims, objectives
- Impact and legacies
- Business planning including fundraising
- Financial projections and accounts
- Policy development
- Legal matters
The secondary, and perhaps more important, role our Board is three-fold:
- To contribute to fundraising both actively and in an advisory capacity, especially as part of our 10-Year Anniversary Campaign;
- To support the Executive & Creative Director and his team in developing and producing the best possible outcomes for our beneficiaries and stakeholders, particularly by contributing professional expertise, insight and connections to enhance those outcomes;
- To contribute to the development of longer term plans and projections, to better articulate our goals for the future while building a sustainable and thriving enterprise, more capable of projecting and therefore mitigating risk.
While the core of our work is driven by charitable aims, we are an entrepreneurial organisation and want to think more commercially. Our Board helps cultivate and sustain an ethos where enterprise and innovation - coupled with a strong approach to risk mitigation - are positively encouraged.
JOINING THE BOARD
We are seeking expressions of interest from individuals who would like to join our Board. At the moment, we are especially interested in persons with expertise in the following areas:
- Philanthropy, specifically in the areas of donor cultivation from high net-worth individuals, smaller-scale donations schemes, and/or fundraising events
- Marketing and brand strategy
- Publishing, specifically at a senior level and ideally in children’s publishing, with strong connections across the sector
- Law, a senior partner in a corporate or independent / family law firm
Anyone joining our Board will be passionate about and committed to transforming the lives of children and young people through creative opportunities, advocating for arts-based approaches to education, and ensuring there is greater inclusion and minority representation in literature. Board Directors may also be called upon from time to time to speak at events about the organisation and its work.
We are striving to ensure gender parity and inclusivity at Board level and therefore welcome expressions of interest from a broad diversity of individuals, especially BAME applicants.
Please see the full Job Description here, which includes information on expected time commitment, our vision, mission, aims & values, and the application process.
Apply via this link by submitting an ‘expression of interest’ letter that addresses the following:
- your professional history and areas of expertise you might bring to the Board,
- what knowledge, experience or interest you have in the non-profit or charitable sector,
- any personal qualities, passions and ideas you might bring to the organisation,
- why you want to champion the values and aims of our organisation.
If you’d like to discuss this opportunity first, please call our Executive Director, Dylan on 07970 176557.