PGMO is the organisation responsible for the 500 match officials and observers operating in the Professional Game.
The Non-Executive Chair will provide an objective view on issues of strategy, performance, communication and resources, including key appointments and standards of conduct, chair regular Board Meetings (approx. 8 per annum), address the Annual Conference and act as an advocate for the organisation.
Candidates will bring board-level experience with strong leadership and strategic skills, a proven ability to influence a variety of stakeholders and an empathetic understanding of refereeing. A background in or experience of the Professional Game together with an understanding of football’s structures and regulatory procedures is desirable.
PGMO manages the training and development of its match officials and is responsible for their appointment to matches in the Premier League, EFL, National League, FA Cup and their associated competitions.
In addition to the 500 match officials and observers, PGMO has 50 full and part time support staff. From this season Select Group 1 comprises 18 referees and 27 assistant referees in full-time employment serving the Premier League. Following substantial investment from the EFL Championship clubs, PGMO has now introduced Select Group 2 which comprises 18 full time referees and a dedicated panel of 36 part-time assistant referees. There are 40 referees and 143 assistant referees who officiate in League 1 and League 2 matches.
The organisation is supported by the Football Association, Premier League and EFL and each body is represented on the PGMO Board at director level.
PGMO has a staff of 50, headed by Managing Director, Mike Riley. The organisation’s registered office is at Wembley Stadium but operates primarily from 30 Gloucester Place, London W1 and Edward VII Quay, Preston.
The Board of the Professional Game Match Officials is seeking to appoint a new non-executive Chair whose main responsibilities will be to:
- Chair regular Board Meetings (approximately 8 per annum)
- Address Annual Conference
- Promote the organisation
- Provide advice and support for the Managing Director
- Provide an objective view on issues of strategy, performance, communication and resources, including key appointments and standards of conduct.
If you are interested in being considered for the position and possess the following qualities please send a CV and covering letter to the address at the foot of the page:
- An understanding of refereeing and an empathy towards referees
- Leadership, management and communication skills
- Diplomatic and able to communicate effectively with a variety of stakeholders, especially senior figures at Clubs
- Experience as a Director
- Available to attend regular/monthly Board meetings.
- A background in or experience of the Professional Game
- Knowledge of the Laws of the Game and refereeing practice
- Understanding of football’s structures and regulatory procedures
- Experience of strategic financial management.
The period of office is two years and may be subject to renewal. The successful candidate is expected to take up the position as soon as possible. Remuneration – subject to negotiation and agreement
Interested candidates should send their CV and a covering letter to: Nancy Sibson, Head of Human Resources, PGMOL, 30 Gloucester Place, London W1U 8PL or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 10am on Friday 14 October 2016.
It is intended interviews will be held in London the week commencing 24 October 2016. PGMO is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.