Treasurer - Society of Designer Craftsmen
Organisation: Society of Designer Craftsmen
Reference: SDC V1/2018
Vacancy Type: Treasurer
Deadline: 16th November 2018
REFERENCE: SDC V1/2018
Closing Date: - 16 November 2018
VACANCY - HONORARY TREASURER with the SOCIETY OF DESIGNER CRAFTSMEN
This is a Voluntary position - expenses for travel to meetings will be will be reimbursed in accordance with the Society's Expenses Policy
SECTOR:-Crafts, Arts, Culture and Heritage
Location - London & South East due to the requirement to travel to meetings in London
We are seeking to appoint an Honorary Treasurer to oversee all financial aspects of the Association and play a leading role in the Society's exciting and ambitious growth and development plan. Ideally we would wish to appoint an honorary treasurer in December 2018 or earlier.
This is a great opportunity to make a significant contribution to the ongoing sustainability and success of handmade British Crafts, and of the Society of Designer Craftsmen (SDC), formerly the Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society (ACES), founded in 1887; it is the oldest multi craft organisation in Britain.
DCMS statistics on 29 November 2017 showed the the Craft sector showing particularly high growth of 14.6% some 3.2% higher than IT, Software and Computing.
THE SOCIETY OF DESIGNER CRAFTSMEN
The Society is a registered Charity and a Company Limited by Guarantee, not having a share capital. It is a national membership organisation; members are some of the UK's top designers & craftsmen and women; we also have a licentiate scheme for recently qualified apprentices and graduates who have up to a five year period as Licentiate.
It is managed by a Council of volunteers who are the trustees of the Charity. We are a friendly, supportive, committee and it would help us to have a Treasurer who will take an interest in the Society and have good independent judgement and willingness to devote time to attend Council meetings and the AGM. The Council usually meets 4-6 times a year at our office in London.
Our Financial Management
In financial terms we are a small Charity, our main income stream is from members' subscriptions.
We use XERO Accounting Software and have an account for training and support. Our bank account sends regular feeds of transactions and statements to our XERO Account.
The Society's bookkeeper is responsible for the day to day bookkeeping and bank account reconciliation on XERO Accounting. Management Account reports are easily obtained from XERO as necessary.
Our annual accounts are prepared by our accountants and are fully audited. Our accounting year is 1st January to 31st December.
Although not essential we would welcome a person with an interest in the Creative Industries, specifically Craft sector; also an understanding of corporate, and charity financial governance principles and practices.
A willingness to develop an understanding of the Society, its structure and operation ;and key issues facing its trustees and members.
Experience of the use of XERO accounting would be welcome but not essential. A financial or accounting qualification is desirable.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Advising the Council on strategic financial planning, to ensure best practice, in line with regulatory requirements.
- To develop an annual budget and cash flow forecast; advising the Council as appropriate on the management and implementation.
- To identify and bring to the attention of the Council any financial risks.
- To ensure that the Society maintains adequate systems in place for financial and internal controls.
- Ensuring that Trustees are informed about their financial duties and responsibilities and any changes introduced by governing bodies.
- Attending meetings of the Council (approximately six times a year) as an ex-officio member, contributing to the governance and management of the Society and reporting on its financial position.
- To report on the Society's financial position and related matters at the AGM and Open Meetings.
- Liaising with the external auditors on specific issues raised by the Auditor.
- Providing financial reports as necessary to assist with applications to possible funders and stakeholders.
- Although this is likely to be very small at present some advice on investments, governance and reserves would be useful in our longer term plans.
The Society does not have any paid staff so PAYE or pensions are not of concern at present.
Time - The anticipated time commitment is one day a month working from home in addition attending committee meetings and meetings with trustees as applicable in our London office.
If you are interested in the role please send your CV or Statement to Christine Dove, Chairman or call her for further details or clarification.
Advert Start Date: 15th October 2018
Contact Telephone Number: 07503 280906
Contact Name: Christine Dove
Contact E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org