Non-Executive Director - Solent Academies Trust
SOUTH EAST ENGLAND AND SOUTH LONDON | PORTSMOUTH| SOUTHSEA
Branding/Marketing | CEO/ General Management | Change Management | Corporate Governance | Education Leadership | Growth Management | Non-Executive/Trustee | Property/Estate Management
Deadline date: 26th June 2020
Could you be an Academy Ambassador in Portsmouth? Solent Academies Trust, a leader in special educational needs provision seeks three non-executives/directors to join its board.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
Solent Academies Trust consists of four schools and is a successful provider of education for pupils aged 2–19 with special education needs and disabilities (SEND) in its own schools and via outreach work with mainstream settings. Three of the schools are based in Portsmouth and the fourth school is in West Sussex and joined the trust following a poor Ofsted inspection and has seen significant improvement since.
The board seeks three business leaders with expertise in
- General management/CEO or
- Corporate Governance/Trustee or
- Project/Change/Growth Management or
- Branding/Marketing or
- Estates management or
- Education/ post 16 education, training and skills development desirable
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- To be recognised as a centre of excellence for advice and support in the field of special needs education.
- To encourage maintained special schools in the Solent area to join the trust where this would be in the best interest of their pupils.
- To complete a review the Trust's governance and strengthen the skill set of the trustees in preparation for expansion.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our alumni network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role. All roles are pro bono.
Please register your interest now to be considered for this opportunity. The role may close prior to the closing date if sufficient applications have been received.
A full trust specification is available here: Solent Academies Trust - full trust specification May 2020.pdf