Members - South of Scotland Enterprise
Remuneration: £261 per day
Location: South of Scotland
Closing date: 10 January 2020 at midnight
Appointment of Members of the Board of South of Scotland Enterprise
Would you like to make a difference in the south of Scotland and contribute to the work of a new enterprise agency, South of Scotland Enterprise? If so, these are roles which may interest you. Scottish Minsters are looking to make up to six appointments to the Board of South of Scotland Enterprise from 1 April 2020.
South of Scotland Enterprise (SOSE) is an agency for the south of Scotland, established by the South of Scotland Enterprise Act 2019. Our vision is for an agency that will take a fresh approach to economic development tailored to the distinct opportunities and challenges in the south of Scotland. SOSE will advance inclusive economic growth, increase competitiveness, and tackle inequality within the south of Scotland.
The Chair and Members of the Board will set the strategic direction of SOSE, taking into account legislation and policy guidance set by the Scottish Government. Each member of the board will bring a range of skills and experience, along with a passionate interest in the south of Scotland.
Ministers want the board as a whole to have:
- experience of contributing to effective corporate governance;
- experience of contributing to the economy or society in the south of Scotland;
- knowledge or understanding of workers' interests in the south of Scotland;
- experience which relates to SOSE's role in strengthening communities and improving amenity and environment.
Those appointed will also need to demonstrate evidence of:
- seeing the bigger picture/longer term planning;
- constructive challenge and support;
- communication and influencing;
- knowledge and understanding of fair work; and
- an understanding of the challenges and opportunities in the south of Scotland
For more specific detail of the particular requirements of the roles, please see the person specification in the applicant information pack. More detailed information about SOSE can also be found in the pack.
Scottish Ministers welcome applications from groups currently under-represented on Scotland's public bodies, such as women, disabled people and those from minority ethnic communities and people aged under 50. The public appointments process promotes, demonstrates and upholds equality of opportunity for all applicants.
Accessibility to public appointments is a fundamental requirement and the public appointments process promotes, demonstrates and upholds equality of opportunity for all applicants. The Scottish Government will always give consideration to disability-related reasonable adjustments that an applicant might request to enable them to demonstrate their merit and participate fully in the selection process.
- Remuneration: Members receive £261.00 per day plus reasonable expenses. Dependent carer and childcare expenses will also be reimbursed. These positions are not pensionable.
- Time commitment: When averaged over a year members will be expected to give a time commitment equivalent to 2.5 days a month.
- Appointment details: The term of appointment will be for up to four years. When a term comes to an end, the skills the board requires will be reassessed. If you satisfy the requirements of the new person specification at that time, and there is evidence of your effective performance, Scottish Ministers may consider reappointing you for a further term. A non-executive member's total period of appointment will not exceed eight years.
- Location: Board meetings will be held in venues across the south of Scotland.
- Interviews: It is expected that interviews will be held on 4, 11, 12 and 13 February in Dumfries.
- Further information: If you would like to find out more about the role, please contact Laura Duffy, Scottish Government, Business Enterprise and Regional Economic Development Division, either by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0141 278 4451.
For full information on the appointments, please read the application information pack which can be accessed via the link below.
Completed applications must be received by midnight on 10 January 2020.
Appointed on merit; committed to diversity and equality
If you require any of the application pack documentation in an alternative format, please contact Public Appointments Team on (Freephone) 0300 244 1898 or at email@example.com.