Non-Executive Director x 4 - Swim Wales
Agency: Acorn Recruitment
Acorn Executive Search acts as strategic partner with the Welsh Sports Association, to assist with the recruitment of NEDs for their Boards. Swim Wales is the National Governing Body for all 66 of the registered Aquatic Sports in Wales.
Its purpose is to create and govern a safe environment for the delivery of all aquatic activities across the nation, and determine how such activities will be implemented internationally, nationally, regionally and locally.
A world leading National Governing Body delivering excellence, inspiring our nation to enjoy, participate, learn and compete in Welsh aquatics. We are a company limited by guarantee and all Board Members are Directors of the company. At an exciting time for Swim Wales, we are currently seeking four new Board members to join us.
Time Commitment: Approximately 1 day per month. There are six board meetings per year and board members may be asked to represent the organisation at other relevant meetings and events.
- Remuneration: The position is voluntary and all reasonable travel and subsistence expenses will be reimbursed.
- Location: Flexible, although the majority of meetings are held in Cardiff, by phone or video conference. The Swim Wales office is located at the Sport Village, Wales National Pool, Swansea.
The Swim Wales team is spread geographically with 50% of the staff office based, they are led by our Chief Executive who is based in the NGB head office.
- Setting the organisation's vision, values, mission and strategic direction
- Delegating appropriate authority to the Chief Executive, and monitoring and evaluating the implementation of policies, strategy and agreed objectives
- Ensuring that internal controls are effective
- Ensuring that communications both to and from members are effective
- Creating and maintaining positive and productive relationships with stakeholders
- Provide direction and support to the staff team, helping them achieve the aims of the organisation
- Ensure Swim Wales pursues its core purpose as set out in the Articles as well as meeting its obligations under company law and other relevant legislation/regulations
- Contribute to the formulation of Swim Wales strategic plans
- Ensure Swim Wales’ organisational structure and capability, including the resources available, are appropriate for implementing the strategy
- Develop organisational policies, define goals, set targets and evaluate performance against these
- Ensure Swim Wales implements good practice
- Create a strong and fulfilling working relationship with other Directors and the Chief Executive Officer
- Participate in a review and self-reflective evaluation of board performance
- Assume guardianship of the legal and financial integrity of Swim Wales as required under the Companies Act (2006)
- Set risk appetite and oversee risk strategy
- Provide constructive support and guidance to the Chief Executive, in the context of the implementation of strategy and policies
- Receive regular progress reports of Swim Wales’ work and financial performance through the Chief Executive
- Maintain careful oversight of any risk to reputation and/or financial standing of the organisation.
- Represent Swim Wales, championing the organisation and its members at appropriate events, meetings or functions
- Build strong and dynamic relationships with Swim Wales’ members, understanding their diverse needs and uniting their voices
- Actively promote the benefits of sport and recreation for people in Wales
- Establish, nurture and maintain effective relationships with stakeholders including Sport Wales, Welsh Government, Chief Executive Officers’ Forum and Wales Council for Voluntary Action, the Commonwealth Games Council for Wales.
- Attend and be a member of other committees or working groups as appropriate.
- You will have a thorough understanding of how sport contributes to the wellbeing of people in Wales through education, health and communities policy. An awareness of the ways in which elite sport success contributes to a strong sport sector is desirable, as well as an understanding of the current political and policy landscape in Wales.
- Although previous experience in a board position is desirable, applications from candidates who have not previously served in a board role but who can demonstrate the skills and competencies necessary to contribute to Swim Wales are welcomed.
Swim Wales is currently recruiting 4 new board members. Following a comprehensive board skills audit, the organisation is seeking individuals with specific skills and knowledge in one or more of the following fields:
- Business Development / Commercial Partnership
- Sales and Marketing
- Communications, Brand and Public Relations (to include digital and social media)
- Education, Development and Training
- Workforce Development and Engagement
- Demonstrates strong business acumen
- Strong professional awareness
- Ability to influence across the sporting landscape
- Demonstrates by actions a thorough understanding of good governance
- Highly developed financial acumen
- Highly developed communication skills
- Demonstrates honesty and integrity
- Innovation and Problem Solving
- Strong planning and organising
- Ability to be flexible
- Can assimilate and respond to different cultural situations
The deadline for applications is Friday 16 November 2018 and interviews will take place shortly after. Please submit a CV with a supporting letter which demonstrates your fit with the person specification and your suitability for the role.
Swim Wales is committed to equality of opportunity and the formation of a balanced, inclusive and skilled board and encourages applications from people from under-represented groups. We particularly welcome applications from people with disabilities, individuals from diverse ethnic and LGBT backgrounds, women and young people.
Acorn Recruitment Ltd is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.
Type: Part Time
Start Date: ASAP
Contract Length: N/A
Contact Name: Jan Hughes
Contact Email: email@example.com
Telephone: 01633 287132
Job Reference: BBBH12906Job ID208850286