Non-Executive Director - Tennis Wales
Job Type: Permanent
Job Reference: BBBH19880
Added: 08 Apr 2020
Acorn Executive Search supports sport governing bodies in identifying NEDs in order to strengthen their Boards. On behalf of Tennis Wales, we're looking for an enthusiastic and forward-thinking person with specific skills, experience and knowledge relating to equality, diversity & inclusion, to join its Board.
About the role
Tennis Wales is the Governing Body of tennis in Wales. Our vision is tennis opened up across Wales. We're aiming to grow the game by making it relevant, accessible, welcoming & enjoyable across the country. We've published our strategy from 2020 - 2024 and are collaborating with the LTA, Sport Wales, and our partners and sponsors.
Tennis Wales is looking to recruit a Non-Executive Director to join the Tennis Wales Board and play an active role in delivering our strategy.
The successful applicant will take an active role in the policymaking & strategic development for Tennis Wales at Board level, taking an impartial view and providing independent oversight and challenge. They will provide specialist advice & support using their professional skills to benefit the organisation. Playing an active role on the Board, they will work with other Board members and the CEO to manage Tennis Wales with excellence and deliver our strategy.
This is a non-salaried position. Travel and other reasonable out-of-pocket expenses will be reimbursed for attendance at official meetings and events on behalf of Tennis Wales. The Tennis Wales Board meets five times a year across Wales and there may be other additional activities and working groups. The term of office is for three years initially with a maximum of two, three-year terms.
- To provide an independent & impartial view of Tennis Wales, offering the Board a different perspective along with guidance on matters of concern.
- To make an informed contribution to the strategy and objectives of Tennis Wales, offering an independent view to the organisation in an objective & constructive manner.
- To take shared responsibility for the performance of the organisation, monitoring performance to ensure Tennis Wales achieves its objectives and aims, operating as a high performing organisation.
- To represent Tennis Wales externally with excellence, promoting the work of the organisation, creating links & introductions to new partners that deliver our strategy.
- To provide oversight in relation to the finance & risk management of Tennis Wales, offering an independent & impartial view for the Board.
- To guide and support the Chief Executive and the executive team as requested on strategic projects related to Tennis Wales.
- To provide specialist and industry leading advice to Tennis Wales that benefits the organisation and delivers our strategy,
Qualifications and essential experience
- Experience working at a senior level within an organisation, working at Board level or similar to make strategic decisions.
- Professional qualifications or experience in key business areas for Tennis Wales such as fundraising, capital facility development or marketing.
- Excellent communication skills, working with other Board members, stakeholder, funding partners and colleagues in the organisation.
- An understanding of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of being a company director.
Acorn Recruitment acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment.
Tennis Wales is the Governing Body of tennis with an exciting vision for the future. In partnership with the Lawn Tennis Association & Sport Wales we aim to open tennis up to more people. Tennis Wales support a growing infrastructure of 86 registered tennis venues, 22 Local Authorities, 220 schools and a superb network of charitable partners & sponsors.