The Advisory Committee on Packaging – Member Retail representative
Date Posted: 21/08/2019
Closing Date: 15/09/2019
The Advisory Committee on Packaging is an Expert Committee funded by Defra. Expert Committees are not Arm’s Length Bodies (ALBs), and are not subject to the same levels of review or scrutiny that ALBs require. Expert Committees comprise of external (non-civil service) specialists that advise ministers on particular policy areas and the advice they provide is operationally independent.
The Advisory Committee on Packaging is designed to bring together the expertise and experience of individuals with a specific interest in packaging and packaging waste issues. They are drawn from the various parts of the packaging supply chain, including businesses which have legal obligations under the GB and NI Producer Responsibility Obligations (Packaging Waste) Regulations, e.g. manufacturers of packaging raw materials, converters, packer/fillers and sellers, as well as others who are involved in the management of packaging waste – local authorities, compliance schemes, waste management companies and exporters.
We are looking for a new member of the ACP Committee to represent the retail industry. Applicants should have a strong knowledge of:
- the impact of the packaging regulations on the retail sector and the environmental and economic issues surrounding packaging design, use and disposal;
- the retail sector across the UK, and both the SME retail sector and the multiple retail sector.
Representation of the wider retail industry would also be an advantage through membership of a relevant trade association.
You will need to:
- Attend quarterly meetings held at Defra’s central London office but you may also be expected to attend task force meetings that may be required to fulfil the role.
- Contribute to the analytical work of the ACP and its task forces in respect of your area of expertise. This may require a commitment of approximately 2 days per month though this is likely to vary depending on specific output requirements.
- Consider in advance and be prepared to debate papers circulated for discussion at quarterly meetings and task force meetings
All Committee members will have:
- Skills in building effective working relationships with people from diverse backgrounds, offering constructive challenge, and working towards solutions which can be accepted by the whole group;
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to communicate effectively at the highest levels of government and business, and be able to handle queries from the media in an open and positive manner. An ability to present information effectively and formulate views persuasively, both written and verbal, in a formal committee environment;
- Good analytical skills with an ability to grasp complex issues quickly, think strategically and solve problems in a creative manner with an aptitude to provide a broad insight into the views of your sector, using extensive experience and a wide network of contacts.
Candidates should be employed by a relevant business or trade association in a senior level role which fulfils the functions listed above. They will need to show evidence of a good understanding of recent developments and future opportunities in relation to packaging, packaging waste and producer responsibility
ACP members are not remunerated. However, reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed upon completion of an expenses form and submission of the relevant receipts, up to a ceiling of £1,000 per year per member.
How to Apply
All candidates are required to complete the following forms:
- Monitoring form 1 (Political Activity and Conflict of Interest Questionnaire)
- Monitoring form 2 (Diversity Monitoring Questionnaire)
Candidates should submit their CV with education, professional qualifications and employment history and the names and contact details for two referees, together with their statement of suitability.
The statement of suitability should give evidence of the strength and depth of your ability to meet the essential criteria for this role. Please provide specific examples to demonstrate how you meet each of the criteria (max two pages please).
Your CV and statement should be returned to the following address by the closing date: 23.59 (midnight) on 15th September. Email to email@example.com quoting reference ACPRetail19.
For further information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1_ACP Member Information Pack - Retail representative
- 2_Monitoring form 1 (Political Activity Questionnaire)
- 3_Monitoring form 2 (Diversity)
This post is NOT regulated by The Commissioner for Public Appointments.