Chair - The Marie Trust
The Marie Trust is a charity with an excellent and established reputation for its multi-faceted and progressive services delivery within the homelessness, criminal justice and addictions sectors in Glasgow. The dedicated, experienced and highly skilled Board, staff and volunteers of The Marie Trust work tirelessly for and with some of the most disadvantaged individuals in Glasgow, many of whom exist in total destitution.
The charity has a centrally located operational base, providing vital holistic intervention and counselling services, a fully equipped training café, and several co-located outreaches, including a founding part in the award-winning CAN initiative, with a thriving charity shop based on Paisley Road West, and a large community of volunteers that support all areas of The Marie Trust’s mission.
The Marie Trust is now at an exciting juncture in its development, with a new Chief Executive in place and seven new Board members with a variety of skills and experiences ready to start their post from April 2019, we are at the perfect juncture to welcome in a new Chair of the Board to lead on the formation of a new strategy fit for what will be a crucial but challenging period ahead.
To fulfil our ambitious strategy, we are therefore seeking an experienced Chair to lead the new Board of Directors and to work in partnership with the Chief Executive to set the new direction and strategy for The Marie Trust. Experience and understanding of the Third Sector generally and of homelessness, criminal justice, addictions would be a bonus but is not essential, as full introductory and continuous training is given to all Board members.
All new Board positions will be co-opted initially and co-opted again or elected at the next AGM.
Closing Date – Monday 8th April at 9am
Interviews – Week commencing 15th April in Glasgow
If you are interested in becoming the new Chair of The Marie Trust and leading a vibrant and dynamic Board working for the future sustainability of this important charity then please contact Debbie Shields at Aspen People on 0141 212 7555 for a confidential discussion on the role.
Role of Chair: The Marie Trust Board of Directors
- As Chair of the Board, ensure that the Board fulfils its responsibilities for the governance of TMT.
- Be a partner to the Chief Executive, helping him/her to achieve the mission of TMT.
- Optimise the relationship between the Board and executive management
- The Chair serves for a three-year term, the Vice Chair for three years.
- Qualification, skills and requirements:
- Commitment to the work of TMT and awareness and public support of its services
- Completed two years of Board Membership
- Knowledge and skills in one or more areas of Board governance: policy, finance, services and/or personnel
- Attendance at Board meetings and each AGM except in exceptional circumstances
- Prepare for and participate in the discussions and deliberations of the Board
- A time commitment of between 10 and 15 days a year
- Foster a positive working relationship with other Board members and TMT staff
- Be aware of and abstain from any conflicts of interest
- Oversee Board meetings
- Serve as ex-officio member of other Board committees
- Take decisions between meetings where necessary and within parameters previously agreed by the Board
- Call special meetings if necessary
- Co-ordinate the Annual Development Review of Board members, helping them assess their own performance and identify any developments in their roles that they aspire to.
- Manage any issues of poor performance or attendance of Board members.
- Work with the Chief Executive in preparing agenda for Board meetings
- Work in partnership with the Chief Executive to make sure that Board resolutions are carried out
- With the Chief Executive recommend Board members to serve on and chair Board committees
- Co-ordinate Chief Executive performance evaluation
- Oversee search for a new Chief Executive
- Work with the Chief Executive to manage the process of recruiting new Board members
- Act as alternative spokesperson for the organisation in circumstances agreed with the Chief Executive
- Be a signatory on the organisation’s bank accounts
To apply, please click the Apply Now button, complete the form and attach your cover letter and CV. You should receive an automatic acknowledgement - if you do not receive this, please contact Donna Sweeny on 0141 212 7555.