Non-Executive Director (Academic Research & Development)
The UK Atomic Energy Authority (UKAEA) is one of the world’s leading research organisations supporting the development of fusion energy. Its primary mission is to lead the commercial development of fusion power and related technology and position the UK as a leader in sustainable nuclear energy. Fusion research is managed at the Culham Centre for Fusion Energy (CCFE) in Abingdon, Oxfordshire. The UKAEA Board is the organisation's main decision-making body and provides collective strategic and corporate leadership to the organisation.
Non-Executive Directors of UKAEA are formally responsible, through the Chair, to the Secretary of State. With the Chief Executive and Chair, the Non-Executive Directors are responsible for:
- Contribute to and oversee UKAEA’s strategy for discharging its objectives
- Monitor the forward work programme and effective execution of the Board’s decisions
- Ensure the effective overall operation and governance of UKAEA
- Support the Executive Team in securing sustainable funding
- Support the Executive Team in seeking to develop and maintain a stable and fairly rewarded workforce with the capabilities required to deliver the UKAEA’s mission
- Represent the views of the UKAEA to the public at various events
This position also carries a very important, specific responsibility for supporting the UKAEA’s interests with the general university and research community in the scientific/technology sector. As such the role will:
- Advise the Board on national and international science development
- Advise the Board on national and international technology development
The Secretary of State is seeking to someone with experience of operating at senior management in a university or research organisation, with a background in science and technology. We are seeking candidates who meet the following criteria:
- The ability to act as an effective non-executive director in a research establishment
- A scientific/technology background
- Good network of senior contacts within the UK and international research bodies
- Ability to exercise judgement across a range of policy areas and strategic management issues
- Ability to ensure sound governance arrangements are in place
- Sound understanding of the national and international scientific and technological context relevant to UKAEA’s areas of expertise
- Sound financial knowledge and commercial acumen
- Good communication, relationship building and influencing skills
Experience of public-sector funding for science and technology research
This is a part time Non-Executive appointment for which an honorarium is paid through PAYE. The rate for a Non-Executive Director is £15,000 a year. Travel and other reasonable expenses will be paid in accordance with the UKAEA’s Conditions of Employment. There is no entitlement to pension, holiday, sick pay etc.
The appointment is for a three-year fixed term with the possibility of an extension. There is a degree of flexibility in the role, but typically in the order of 12-15 days of work is required per annum.
Baseline Personal Security Standard is required (BPSS).
BEIS is committed to providing equal opportunities for all, irrespective of race, age, disability, gender, marital status, religion, sexual orientation, transgender and working patterns and to the principle of public appointments on merit with independent assessments, openness and transparency of process.
BEIS offers professional training courses on public sector finance and governance for those new to the public sector.
How to Apply
The closing date for applications is Tuesday 18 April, 2017 at 23:00.
Please submit the following documents by email to email@example.com –
- A covering letter
- A CV
- A completed Candidate Application Form
- A completed Diversity Monitoring Form
Please ensure that you include “UKAEA Academic R&D NED” in the subject box of your email. Alternatively, you can send hard copy of your application to:
Central Appointments and Remuneration Team
Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
7th Floor, 2 Spur
1 Victoria Street