Board Member (Non-Executive Director) - Welcome to Yorkshire
Appointment term: Three years.
Time Commitment: Approx. 8 days per year
Salary: Unremunerated. Reasonable expenses may be claimed.
Welcome to Yorkshire is looking for people from a wide diversity of backgrounds with a passion for Yorkshire who can oversee the running and governance of the organisation and play a key part in forming the company’s strategy over the next 10 years.
Welcome to Yorkshire is the destination marketing organisation for the county, with the sole aim of growing Yorkshire’s visitor economy. It is a private limited company formed in 2009, run on a not-for-profit basis, with both private and public funding. The organisation has established the county as a world class destination, helping to increase the county’s visitor economy from £6bn in 2011 to £9bn in 2017.
Working in collaboration with local authorities and proud Yorkshire businesses Welcome to Yorkshire has helped to build a new confidence in the county bringing in more international visitors than anywhere else in England.
It’s creative and ambitious marketing and PR campaigns have delivered more than £100m of media coverage as well as high profile events such as the annual Tour de Yorkshire, showcasing Yorkshire at RHS Chelsea Flower Show, The White Rose Awards and a huge presence at the Great Yorkshire Show.
Incredibly proud of its achievements over the past 10 years, Welcome to Yorkshire has bold and ambitious plans to build on that success over the next decade.
The organisation is recruiting several non-executive directors to replace board members coming to the end of their terms. All applications will be welcome, but we are particularly keen to hear from those with experience in: tourism, finance, legal, marketing, people culture or commercial income generation. Welcome to Yorkshire is actively encouraging applications from suitable candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Key responsibilities include:
- Overseeing the governance and running of Welcome to Yorkshire, playing a key part in the decision-making process and strategy;
- Offering expertise, guidance, support and an objective perspective on key matters of strategy, governance, commercial and financial affairs, and risk management;
- Ensuring the Board and Executive Directors demonstrate the highest standards of integrity at all times;
- Encouraging and maintaining positive relationships with major external stakeholders;
- Encouraging and facilitating an open, accountable, transparent and trustworthy culture with both staff and all external partners and stakeholders;
- Conforming to all statutory duties and regulations including accounts, taxation, health and safety, employment and the environment.
Suitable candidates may come from a private or public sector background but will have a strong knowledge of not-for-profit governance board-level responsibilities and be accustomed to the principles of public sector propriety, regularity and accountability.
They will have ability to ‘lead from the front’, while demonstrating the highest standards of integrity and a commitment to transparency, honesty and equity at all times.
Experience of successfully setting and implementing strategy and managing risk is vital and a passion for Yorkshire and a desire to see the county thrive is essential.