Non-Executive Director, (Finance) - Welsh Athletics
Salary: Up to £0.00 per annum + Voluntary
Job Type: Permanent
Job Reference: BBBH13539
Acorn Executive Search acts as a strategic partner with the Welsh Sports Association, to assist with the recruitment of NEDs for their Boards.
Welsh Athletics is seeking enthusiastic and forward-thinking individuals to join its Board.
We are looking for experienced individuals with strong critical thinking skills who are capable of applying independent judgment to work effectively with other non-executive directors. Welsh Athletics' vision is to create a world class athletics development programme and to grow athletics to be the biggest sport in Wales through participation and opportunity.
They are committed to becoming the sector-leading National Governing Body of sport in Wales and truly live our values of trusted, respected, ambitious and of excellence, fun and together.
This is a voluntary role with all reasonable travel and subsistence expenses fully reimbursed.
- Time commitment: 1-2 days per month approximately with typically five Board meetings per year. This role would also chair the Coaching & Performance sub-group of the Board and there are typically five sub-group meetings per year.
- Term of office: Non-Executive Directors will be appointed for a three-year term. (Maximum of 2 terms permitted)
- Location: Welsh Athletics' head office is located at the Cardiff International Sports Campus with most meetings held in Cardiff.
Welsh Athletics is a leading Sports governing body with an ambitious vision for modernising and developing our sport. We believe we can both inspire a generation of future stars and motivate a population to run their way to a healthier lifestyle.
If you would like to be at the forefront of delivering this for Wales, this is the role for you.
The role of the Board and its members is to supervise the management of Welsh Athletics business and to discharge the responsibilities of the directors under the Companies Act.
- To be a company director of Welsh Athletics Limited and provide leadership and expertise in the area of athletics Coaching and Performance.
- To ensure that controls and systems are in place to safeguard corporate governance of Welsh Athletics and report to membership, through the AGM.
- Prepare policy papers and undertake specific development projects as directed by the Board.
- To advise the Board on areas relating to performance sport, coaching and pathway development.
- To Chair the Coaching and Performance sub-group of the Board, reporting back to the Board on key items at each meeting
- To support the performance department with policy development relating to the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
- Promote the highest standards of governance and seek compliance wherever possible.
- The successful candidate will have significant experience of working within performance sport, preferably within athletics either as a coach, athlete or as a performance lead.
- Ideally, they will have experience of working within or supporting a sports performance system and be able to share knowledge of all parts of a performance pathway. They will be aware of the systems other sports have put in place to achieve success.
- Commitment to Welsh Athletics, its values, goals and ethics
- Inspires with confidence and commitment, ensures Board members understand the strategic objectives within Coaching and Performance and are aware of its duties to those involved with the delivery of these objectives.
- Upholds high ethical standards of integrity and transparency, takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the duty of care for all involved are safeguarded at all times.
- Understanding of the environment
Strong understanding of the evolving landscape for sport and sport funding in Wales.
- Possesses strong interpersonal and negotiation skills, with the ability to develop effective and sustainable stakeholder relationships and commercial partnerships.
- Understanding of good corporate governance
Has experience of applying sound governance principles to decision-making, systems and structures.
- Highly developed communication skills
Excellent communication skills, able to adapt communication style, content and messages to a variety of audiences.
- Values-based behaviour
Displays integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.
- Strong analytical skills
Able to analyse and assess information to make effective decisions.
Acorn Recruitment acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment.
Welsh Athletics’ vision is to create a world class athletics development programme and to grow athletics to be the biggest sport in Wales through participation and opportunity.