BRE is an independent and impartial, research-based consultancy, testing and training organisation, offering expertise in every aspect of the built environment and associated industries. We help clients create better, safer and more sustainable products, buildings, communities and businesses - and we support the innovation needed to achieve this.
As a NED the candidate will be expected to:
- Contribute to strategy, to monitor risk levels, profitability, the progress against targets agreed by the board, and oversee the implementation of agreed actions.
- Uphold the values of the organisation to ensure the organisation is ‘beyond reproach’, including financial probity and scientific rigour. Represent the BRE Group to other stakeholders, including its shareholder - a charitable trust, industry academic partners, industry trade and professional bodies, government (including non-UK).
- Manage board succession and perform the duties required of the Remuneration and Nominations committees.
Requirements of the role:
- Business skills to act as a critical friend of the BRE Group, contributing to the development of the company's longer term strategy as well as oversight of company performance.
- High energy levels and the personal and communication skills to build a positive and respected relationship with the senior executive team and wider business whilst recognising and respecting the different roles of the executives/non executives.
- Good strategic insights into business trends and the ability to envision and assist in creating future business opportunities.
- Ability to contribute to and challenge the corporate strategy, the long term financing plan, and the progress of the business.
- The business is undergoing significant transformation; with a longer term background in the public sector, it is commercial in its operations whilst still retaining the scientific excellence and independence which is at its core. Hence experience of this cultural journey would be considered relevant and helpful.
- Ability to take an independent external perspective and where necessary represent the “voice of the customer” within the Group.
- Background in a commercial training business would be helpful.
- Current or previous role in a business where product testing and certification was essential to commercial success would be helpful.
- Ability to bring expertise and experience in one or more of the new business rapid growth areas/markets such as:
- Education and Training
- Digital Products and Services
- Understanding of the potential and application of new business technologies such as big data/analytics, application development and design.
- Establishing/growing businesses in new international markets particularly China and Americas
- Establishing and operating new business collaborations and/or joint ventures, and forming judgments on early success or failure.
- Interest in, and familiarity with the building and building products sector would be helpful but not essential.
Please email your covering letter including salary information and CV to Kanta Nar BRE, Bucknalls Lane, Watford WD25 9XX 0333 321 88 11