Chair - LUC
Business / Organisation Name: LUC
Business / Organisation Sector: Private
Business / Organisation Website: http://www.landuse.co.uk
Business / Organisation Type: Private Company
Role Title: Chair
LUC is an independent environmental planning and assessment, landscape design, geospatial and ecology consultancy, working primarily across the UK but also internationally. The business is a fully employee-owned organisation, with all the shares held via an Employee Ownership Trust (EOT). Over the last few years, the company has grown its top and bottom lines, and generated good cash levels, contributing to a healthy balance sheet. LUC has high client satisfaction and has won numerous industry awards.
There is a key requirement to recruit an innovative NED to join the business as a Chair. The NED is the sole Non-Executive Director of the company and chairs the Board of Directors and the Board of Trustees. The NED is expected to bring an external, independent perspective to the Board, assist with strategy, help develop the business, including through facilitating new connections, and ensure that risks are suitably managed. The NED is expected to challenge and advise the executive directors, in line with the LUC company values, and help them to reach balanced judgements.
Core responsibilities will entail:
- Chair the LUC Executive Board in a Non-Executive capacity and the Board of Trustees.
- Bring an external facing, independent perspective and advise the Board accordingly.
- Assist in setting and revising strategy and objectives.
- Scrutinise the performance of management against the objectives and values of the company.
- Advise on risk management and internal control frameworks.
- Advise on systems which support the integrity and quality of management information.
- Advise on governance arrangements and assist with succession planning, including chairing Appointments Panels.
- Line management of the Managing Director.
- Involvement in business development, (working closely with Board and senior team), including presentations at client events or conferences.
- Facilitate new connections for the business, though providing introductions.
LUC are keen to see innovative NED Chair candidates that are client and people focused. Suitable people for the role will display the following:
- Successful track records in chairing business committees or Boards.
- Values driven with a strong environmental ethos.
- Evidence of improving equality, diversity and inclusion within organisations.
- Possibly strategic management or business development role experience in a consultancy organisation, perhaps engaged in environmental-related services.
- Ability to engage constructively with senior management, scrutinise activity positively and successfully motivate people
- Director of similar-sized company which has undergone sustained growth (Executive or NED).
- Strategy development, governance, business development and operational experience.
- Understanding of markets in which LUC operates or wishes to develop and connections.
- Clear and enthusiastic communicator; verbal and written.
- Understanding of systems and risk management.
- Good understanding of management accounts and related management information.
- Knowledge of reward and motivation mechanisms.
LUC is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion and actively encourages applications from under-represented groups. The business values the differences, needs and contributions a diverse workforce represents, and strives to embed equality, diversity and inclusion in all of the company’s people related activities. It is important that this appointment supports this commitment.
LUC has office locations in London, Bristol, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Manchester. The NED could be based anywhere in the UK but must be able to travel to the office locations for Board meetings, and occasionally to other locations for special events.
If this role is of interest and you have suitable experience, please email your CV to George Woodward email@example.com from Novo Executive Search who is handling this assignment for us.
Closing Date: 19/05/2021
Contact Name: George Woodward
Contact Telephone: 07715894058
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org