Chair - OpenEdge-Transforming Conflict
Organisation: OpenEdge Transforming Conflict
Vacancy Type: Chair
Deadline: 16th September 2019
Region: Nation Wide
Interim Chair of Trustees needed for OpenEdge-Transforming Conflict
Who are we?
OpenEdge-Transforming Conflict came together because we wanted to share a different approach to conflict, peace, identity politics, justice and development, where relationship is key to transforming violent systems and beliefs. With many years experience in UK and international conflict work, we found ourselves increasingly bound by the restrictions of traditional approaches.
Our work is underpinned by concepts such as decade-thinking rather than project funding-thinking, built in obsolescence of outside technical expertise, interdependent needs, multiple social truths, empathy and resonance; concepts that don't always fit a traditional log-frame!
We are a small but unique team with broad experience and expertise, working in diverse contexts in the UK and internationally. We concern ourselves with hid- den, unconscious and normalised violences and challenges within human thinking, systems and structures, and personal behaviours. By working with day-to-day lived experiences, we identify the un-asked questions and seek out the un-ad- dressed blockages, to get to the roots. We reunify individual and systemic experiences to bring both personal and structural transformation. We are passionate about and good at what we do! ...AND WE NEED YOUR HELP!
Check us out individually and collectively here! Our charitable objects and constitution
What's the ask?
OpenEdge is looking for an enthusiastic individual who would value being in the role of Interim Chair of Trustees with a developing small charity. This opportunity would suit anyone who has experience of being a trustee and is looking to build your skills, practice and portfolio. We are small and only work part time hours a week, so this is a gentle yet exciting challenge to develop yourself and expand your edges, as you support us to do the same.
The purpose of our Interim Chair is to help OpenEdge prepare for development of our activities and projects.
The role of interim Chair requires you to create and undertake tasks in the following areas connection, review, development ...lite (because we are so small)!
In collaboration with all the OpenEdge community, we invite you to...
- Build Connection:
Listen, learn and get to know us. Get to know our talents and experience, individually and collectively
Get excited by our work and understand what we do and why we want to do it. Understand our purpose, and what we want to develop in the next 5 years
- Review our activities and organisation:
Help us identify and understand where our work and organisation is weak in supporting our organisational purpose
Energise, motivate and facilitate us to create a clear, collective strate- gy to attend to the gaps, and build on the strengths, to better achieve our purpose
- Develop all areas of the organisation:
Help us consolidate our collective ideas for development of activities and projects, and along with the organisational, governance and income generation elements, capture this in an organisational strategy
Create an action plan with us, to bring our development strategy into be- ing...
While meeting Charities Commission requirements and best practices, and fully connected to the vision and strategy for developing activities and projects to achieve our purpose, bring 'power-with' thinking, systems and structures to our work and our organisation. Be creative and collaborative to help us develop sustainable and resilient
- fundraising and income generation
- financial systems and controls
- feedback and accountability systems
- external publicity and communication
- research, professional and project development
- networks with possible partners and funders
- organisational roles, relationships, tasks, meetings, and decision making
- record keeping, policies, information flow
- ..anything more that is identified...
We invite you to apply if you can demonstrate the following:
- embody a collaborative, 'power-with' approach to working in organisations
- have experience of managing and developing organisations towards being more sustainable and resilient (either within an organisation or as a trustee)
- have a depth of awareness and understanding of life experiences beyond mainstream Western or Global North centric life experiences
- have experience of being a trustee for a UK based charity, with knowledge of the purpose and functioning of a board of governance, and readiness to develop this as you develop the board and the organisation
- are ready to match your needs, skills and contributions, with our needs, expertise and purpose
- you have a current enhanced DBS certificate, or are in the process of current enhanced disclosure application
- can provide a relevant professional reference
- can commit to 6 months with us.
Giving examples of the above, please send us a one or two page document, telling us
- about yourself, your personal and professional passions and experiences
- why you would like the role of Chair of Trustees with OpenEdge
- what you will bring
- what you will need
- what you will learn
- anything else you would like to share
Please send this, along with your CV, to email@example.com If you have any questions, please contact us at the same email address.
We look forward to hearing from you!
- Closing date for applications: 5pm, Monday 16th September 2019.
- By 20th September we will let you know if we would like to invite you to an online conversation with us, to discuss more and see how we can work together.
- On 25th September, we will meet 3 final candidates to discuss more and see how we can work together.
- By Tuesday 1st October 2019 we will formally let you know if you have been selected, with feedback about our decision.
- Appointment of Interim Chair will take place in an online meeting of the board, on Thursday 10th October 2019, 11am-1pm.