Independent Committee Member - Comic Relief
Recruiter: Comic Relief
Location: London and remote
Salary: No salary
Posted: 09 Oct 2020
Closes: 27 Oct 2020
Job Function: Board Member
Comic Relief is a leading, high profile charity which harnesses the power of entertainment to fundraise and uses such funds in support of its vision of a just world free from poverty. Comic Relief operates in accordance with the highest values, in a complicated political and societal environment.
The R&NC is the Comic Relief committee which discusses remuneration and nomination matters across the organisation and reports on such matters and recommends any changes to Trustees. The R&NC comprises Trustees and Independent Members.
Independent Members are appointed because they have skills, experience and qualities which facilitate good decision making and help ensure that the Committee successfully discharges its responsibilities.
The time commitment
The R&NC meets quarterly with additional ad hoc meetings if required.
It is expected that candidates should have some, but not all, of the following characteristics:
- the ability to perform an advisory ‘critical friend’ role with respect to all matters within the remit of this Committee, including making recommendations to the COO, the Head of People and the Trustees.
- the ability to provide oversight on human resources initiatives, organisational and governance structure and management processes.
- a deep and informed understanding of the charity sector
- first class communication and interpersonal skills
- commitment to diversity and inclusion
- commitment to Comic Relief’s mission to drive positive change through the power of entertainment and vision of a just world free from poverty
- human resources expertise.
- experience of talent management.
- experience of leadership or governance within non-profit/charity or social enterprise.
- an overall understanding of the voluntary and philanthropic sector in its broadest sense either in the UK and/or internationally.
- experience of development and oversight of human resources initiatives.
Length of Appointment
The Independent Member initial term is three years or another term by agreement with the committee chair, subject to performance review. This can be extended by the Board (in consultation with the CEO) for a further three-year period and for a further period of three years after that (therefore up to a maximum of nine years from the date of appointment).
To apply please visit our website via the link.
Role closes - 12:00pm, 27th Oct 2020 GMT (Europe/London)
Inclusivity at Comic Relief
We recognise diversity and inclusion are a source of strength in achieving our mission. We therefore welcome everyone, trusting what makes us different brings creativity, styles and experiences to help us collectively do our best work. That’s regardless of your gender, age, race, disability, religion, sexual orientation, and cultural identity. We especially welcome those from under-represented groups in modern grant-making and fundraising. We are on a journey, but if you join our team you will be part of a community that is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where we want you to:
- Be valued for being yourself
- Do your best work, and be supported to break down barriers so you can succeed
- Be heard, respected, and treated as an equal, whatever your level, experience or background
- Be part of a team that is committed to making this happen – with our colleagues, partners, and contributors.
- Openness and Accountability
Comic Relief is committed to operating with openness and accountability, recognising that this commitment goes to the heart of public trust in Comic Relief.
Comic Relief is committed to preventing and protecting all people from harm in their interactions with us. We expect all those that act in our name to uphold our approach to doing no harm.