Non-Executive Director - Northern Ireland Office
Body: Northern Ireland Office
Appointing Department: Northern Ireland Office
Sector: Charity & Public Sector
Number of Vacancies: 1
Remuneration: £7,500 per annum plus expenses
Time Requirements: Approximately 10 days per year
Closed for Applications: 10/07/2020
Non-Executive Directors provide a key role in the strategic and operational leadership of the Northern Ireland Office. They complement the balance of skills and experience of Government Ministers and officials by bringing independent advice, support, constructive challenge and a fresh external perspective to help shape a department’s work.
To complement the existing balance of skills on the Northern Ireland Office Departmental Board and to ensure that it can provide expert advice to Ministers on a wide range of issues and challenges, we would particularly welcome applications from people with experience in the business and commercial sector.
The Non-Executive Director is a challenging and rewarding opportunity. It calls for someone who can work effectively with a wide range of individuals and who has good judgment, resilience, sensitivity and vision of a high order. He or she will be expected to provide support, guidance and challenge on the progress and implementation of the strategic business plan and the use of resources.
All candidates for this challenging role will need to demonstrate:
- An understanding of the role of the Northern Ireland Office and awareness of the key challenges the Department is likely to face over the next 5 years.
- An understanding of how government works, including the NIO’s relationship with other Whitehall departments, the devolved administration and stakeholders;
- Comprehensive experience at Board level, as an Executive or Non-Executive Director, of a public or private sector body, including the ability to challenge and bring a fresh, external view;
- An understanding of economic, commercial and business considerations and how these can influence and shape government policy development; and
- Excellent communication skills and collaborative working style with the ability to contribute effectively to future strategic planning and delivery.
The Northern Ireland Office is committed to the principle of appointment on merit with independent assessment, openness and transparency of process and to providing equal opportunities for all. All application summary forms, CVs and personal statements received by the closing date will be acknowledged and put before a duly constituted Selection Panel.
The Panel will short list candidates to be invited to interview and then make recommendations to the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland who in turn may wish to meet those candidates recommended for appointment to each position before deciding whom to appoint.
How to Apply
Unfortunately, in the current circumstances, we are unable to accept hard copy applications by post for this competition. Applications must therefore be sent by email to: [email protected]
The closing date for applications is Friday 10 July 2020.
For your application to be properly considered by the Selection Panel you must return:
- The completed application summary form, including your personal statement;
- A full CV (including education and professional qualifications, career history, and relevant achievements and responsibilities); and
- Monitoring Questionnaire.
If you have any questions about the campaign, please email the campaign coordinator at [email protected]
- NIO Non-Executive-Director-2020-Diversity-Monitoring-Form
- Northern Ireland Office Non-Executive Director 2020-Application-Summary-Form
- Non-Executive Director - Candidate Information Pack
This post is NOT regulated by The Commissioner for Public Appointments.