Members of Council - University of Birmingham
Closing Date: Monday 7 Sep 2020
Ranked in the top 100 universities globally and the top 20 in all domestic league tables, the University of Birmingham is a thriving and dynamic institution that combines a century of heritage with one of the most compelling and ambitious agendas in higher education. A number of vacancies for Lay Members will arise on the Council, the University’s Governing Body, later this year and we are looking for outstanding candidates to join us.
We are looking for individuals who are able to bring a broad range of experience and expertise at a senior level to the Council. The University recognises the benefits of having members of Council from a range of diverse backgrounds. We wish to broaden further the diversity of the membership of Council, particularly in terms of age, ethnicity and gender. The University would particularly welcome candidates with any of the following skill sets/areas of experience:
- strong financial acumen, with an interest in becoming our next Treasurer, the lead lay officer with responsibility to Council for strategic oversight of, and assurance on, the University’s finances;
- cultural and creative industries, someone who is able to make links with key players in this sector and help to raise the profile of the University;
- entrepreneurial experience;
- industrial experience (e.g. manufacturing/engineering companies with an R&D element);
- technology/digital sector experience;
- international expertise, particularly in relation to the Middle East and/or China;
- interaction with higher education as a client or a partner.
Applicants must have a keen interest in and empathy for Higher Education and be willing to bring their experience and expertise and devote time to the Council and its Committees to assist the University to achieve its ambitions in civic, national and global arenas. These positions are pro bono.
Saxton Bampfylde Ltd is acting as an employment agency advisor to the University of Birmingham on this appointment. For further information about the role, including details about how to apply, please visit www.saxbam.com/appointments using reference BBUJ. Alternatively, telephone +44 (0)20 7227 0880 (during office hours).
Applications should be received by noon on Monday 7 September 2020.